17. moving out

For the next two days, Meng spent her free time with Rj. She said she had some exams coming up so she quietly studied while Rj napped. Mama Rose was also always around but ignored Meng when she was there. She doted over Rj like he was a five year old.

Yaya Beth just quietly worked and followed Mama's orders but would roll her eyes and wink at Meng when the matriarch would dramatically react to every cough, sneeze or moan Rj would make. Whenever Meng would make a move to stand or move toward Rj, Mama always had Yaya Beth do something or she would 'volunteer' so that Meng would have to step back.

---

"Rose, hayaan mo na yung anak mo."

"Mapapagod sya..."

"At kelan pa naging nakakapagod ang holding hands?"

"Baka may dala syang sakit. Galing sya sa labas."

"At tayo, hindi?" Papa pulled Mama away when he saw how Mama would always butt in and try to interrupt Meng and Rj.

---

"Ricky! Saan ka pupunta? Anong kailangan mo? Asan si Yaya?" Mama rattled on when she saw Rj walking from his bedroom to the kitchen.

"Ma, kukuha lang ako ng tubig..."

"Yaya! Inday!"

"Ma..."

"Hindi ka pwede magpagod.."

"Ma, I'm fine. I can do it myself." Rj said and continued walking to the kitchen. He saw Elena, the maid, appear from the kitchen door but signalled her to dismiss her.

A few minutes later, Rj sat on the sofa and switched on the TV. Mama sprang up from her seat and adjusted the electric fan.

"Ma?"

"Is the fan bothering you?"

"It's fine. Ma..."

"Yes?"

"Can Meng come over? Sabi nyo ipapasundo nyo sya kay Manding..."

"Ah...wala si Manding...inutusan ni Papa..." Mama tried to evade Rj's question.

"Tomorrow?"

"O sige, tomorrow..."

---

"Miss na kita...." Rj said during their facetime calls that evening.