Chapter 3:Forming Alliance

December,1971.Rumours about the Filipino attack has already spread out in Malaysia and the news already reached the British government.On a world summit Pres. Marcos clarified to British Prime Minister Edward Heath that the rumours are not true.Unconvinced the British Prime Minister ordered the Royal Navy to guard the Malaysian seas and sent a fleet of 40 ships including a battleship,8 cruisers,9 destroyers,12 frigates,6 corvettes and 4 submarines.In addition to the current fleet guarding the seas.90,000 British and Australian troops also landed at East Malaysia(Sarawak&Sabah) making the combined forces of Malaysia,Britain and Austalia in Borneo total of 320,000 men.

This actions made Pres. Marcos hesitate because the number of the Commenwealth forces are too large for the Armed Forces of the Philippines to fight.So President Marcos seeks an alliance.At first he wanted to ask American support but he realised that the Americans won't betray the British for him.

President Marcos then went to Jakarta for a state visit.There he expressed all his intentions to President Suharto.The Filipino leader was surprised to know that Suharto has also his own plans to attack Malaysia.They both discussed about it and agreed to create an alliance.

August,1972.Military officials of the Indonesian Armed Forces and Armed Forces of the Philippines met at Manila to initiate the plannings for the attack.

Washington has received reports about the Indo-Philippine Alliance and called Pres. Marcos.Marcos then promised to commit more troops in the Vietnam War to please the Americans.From 18,000 the Filipino forces in Vietnam grew to 52,000 men.Marcos also allowed the Americans to build another military base in his country.

Indonesian soldiers and Filipino soldiers began training at Bataan peninsula.While the two countries' ammunition factories are on full swing productions.

Despite the combined forces of Indonesia and the Philippines the British still has the upperhand in the region.The British Armed Forces is an obstacle to the two dictators' ambitions.

Lieutenant General Francisco Dacanay(fictional character) of the Philippine Army suggested to Pres. Marcos to support the communist insurgency in the Malay peninsula.(the Philippines and Indonesia has also a problem on communism).So that the Commenwealth forces in Borneo will be divided and be sent to fight the communist in the Malay peninsula.