Chapter 96.3

Today, Wei Luo was visiting fourth branch's Plum Courtyard. Fourth Madam Qin-shi was helping Wei Zheng by embroidering her wedding veil.

Wei Zheng's mother was in Gingko Courtyard and couldn't help her, so Qin-shi was helping Wei Zheng with these things. Seeing Wei Luo enter the room, Qin-shi gestured for her to come to her side. "Ah Luo, come look. How does the embroidery for this pair of mandarin duck look?"

Qin-shi's embroidery skills were very good. She was the best in her family before she married. Her skills hadn't diminished over the years. The pair of mandarin ducks in her hands was very vivid and realistic as if there really was a pair of birds right in front of them.

Wei Luo moved closer to look and praised, "It's really good. If I didn't look carefully, I might mistakenly believe they're real. Fourth Aunt, will you teach me how to make this later?"

Wei Luo's embroidery skills weren't very good because she hadn't seriously spent time learning it. Every time she tried, she would prick her fingers. Later, she became disinclined to continue practicing because of her dislike of pain.

Qin-shi smiled after hearing her words. The gloomy mood she had during the past few days also improved.

Qin-shi's eyes felt strained from embroidering, so she stood up and put the needlework to the side on a flat basket-tray. She sincerely said to Wei Luo, "If you want to learn, I'll teach you whenever you come over here. As a girl, it's better if you know how to embroider. When you marry into your husband's family, they'll have a better opinion of you." Then she paused and thought of the matter in the residence. She couldn't help sighing, "Definitely don't be like Wei Zheng... Even if she's getting married, her husband's family will look down upon her."

Wei Luo pursed her lips and didn't say anything. Wei Zheng's ending was her own fault. It couldn't be blamed on someone else.

Qin-shi sat down next to her and took her hand to say, "Ah Luo, you're a clever and understanding child. Fourth Aunt has never had to worry about you... But, this type of thing has happened to Wei Zheng and your engagement with House Song has been canceled. I've been feeling uneasy during the past few days."

Wei Luo faintly smiled and asked a rhetorical question, "What is Fourth Aunt worrying about? What could happen to me?"

Qin-shi paused and finally said, "You're so good. House Song is blind. You'll definitely marry someone even better... Fourth Aunt only hopes that you'll know your place and not be as foolish as Wei Zheng. She gave herself before marriage and her husband's family won't treat her well after she's married.

Wei Luo froze for a moment. She thought of something and her expression immediately became uneasy.

Although she and Zhao Jie hadn't taken anything too far, he always couldn't resist holding and hugging her every time they met. She didn't know if Fourth Aunt was referring to this... It was totally Zhao Jie's fault. It was one thing for him to kiss her. Last time, when they were at the countryside, he said he would help her by rubbing... She blushed, coughed, and pretended to be calm when she said, "Fourth Aunt, don't worry. I definitely won't follow in her footsteps."

Hearing her promise, Qin-shi patted her hand and let go of her concerns.

Wei Luo had dinner with Qin-shi, then Wei Chang Mi, that little calf bothered her for an hour. When she left Plum Courtyard, the sky was already completely dark. She went back to her room to take a bath, then she changed into a magnolia-colored thin robe. After her hair dried, she lied down in bed and quickly fell asleep.

*****

The moon was suspended in the sky. The night was silent.

Most of the people in Pine Courtyard were resting in their rooms, only the occasional servant girl responsible for night vigil would be walking in the veranda.