Back. But Not.

Clark stood in the kitchen, notes firmly still in hand. She felt, she had covered most duties....Given a fair command of what was to be expected. The twenty new spirit servants had taken well to the jobs at hand. Watched with alertness, listened when told.    She had cracked her belt at them..."Complete obedience is asked of you. Fail to give what is requested, and there will be consequences! Pray they come from, and by my hand..."

Heads nodded....There were quiet murmurs of agreement. Clark found this new batch of staff were competent in all ways that were expected, but they did ask many questions (Was this going to be an issue?)    Should she be concerned?     She would keep an eye on that. She liked a questioning mind, spirits that wanted to do their work well. But, as long as the questions were within their area of needing to know. Clark, with the assistance of Benton - Would in time extend their knowledge.

She wished to get their duties, within their appointed tasks - Well ingrained into their minds.

And...There might be some room, for freedom if they wanted. "Know the rules, so if you break'em...You'll have a firm understanding of how far you'll have to crawl back".

Then there was the explaining of Ethan. That was going to be a subject best treated with care.     EB, she would handle. Clark liked that EB spent time with Stella....EB reminded her of someone she dearly missed (Two actually) She would still arrange for Bell to be with Stella and EB. Clark found my friend Stella an interesting young woman, she often pondered - Could she get Stella to join the mansion in some way.

Was there a vocation for Stella?    Could she create one?

Clark checked the old clock on the wall, I often called it an antique.....To Clark, it was modern and it still took her a minute or two to read it. She preferred the "Sun and Window" system (Each window had a piece of glass that would hold the light from the sun or moon - To tell the time)

Lunch would be served soon, Clark stood by the door-frame.    She wanted to see Ethan.     She felt it was "good" I was with him.    But, Ethan wasn't"right"....He was "off". Unbalanced.    We had had a positive couple of days with him, when he awoke from what had happened.     Then, she noticed the constant black eyes (They were only seen in moments of unbalance, charged feelings of one kind or another)

And, the electrical vibe.    The distain for particular words.   His pain.      If Clark could be honest, there were things she knew (And, knew them well)....But, there was also parts she didn't.    Briar had trained her and Benton on those (And, forced them to tap into their own pasts for answers)        Clark felt, I would come into my own (Become very knowledgeable)    But, I was young....Still had a long way to go.

My gift, of being a "natural"....Was only going to get me so far.    The larger picture required practice, training....And, time!    I was in the right place, slowly being surrounded by the right people....But, things I was finally facing, were truly going to test me!

Benton glided beside her.

"She's having trouble with him. We may have to go back to square one. Freedom is a wonderful thing. But, not for Ethan. Never for Ethan. Something's wrong. Before he was just dead, had a soul standing beside him...."

Clark nodded..."Yes. I feel it too! A soul needs it's place. Within the body, or with our Heavenly Father. Not slinking around hallways, feeling lost and forgotten!..." Clark suddenly put her hand to her mouth. "Do you think, the Queen made sure his soul could never return?!.."