thirty-nine

˚୨୧˚ ˚୨୧˚
april 25, 2020

adele caught the earliest flight she could.

she risked everything possible as she sat in her first class seat, the time reading 3:34 am. after abel's advice, he helped adele get her things together and even offered to drive her to the airport.

the amount of paparazzi had been relatively low given the time of night, but that only gave the few there more opportunities to snap several pictures. and with every camera flash, adele's heart raced faster and faster. she knew her manager would be sending texts the moment he'd awoken the next morning. and with that thought, she powered her phone off.

eleven and a half hours later, adele landed in los angeles at around seven in the morning. her eyes had felt strained, considering she'd gotten little to no sleep. but she couldn't sleep now, and she knew it.

"adele!" melanie's voice hisses through the phone, "are you serious?"

"i'm okay, mel." she murmurs in response, using one hand to push her hair out of the way of her sight. "i would've told you, but it was late—"

"i don't care!" she cuts off, and adele gives her half of her attention, staring up at the map of the airport to find baggage claim. "i'm your assistant, remember? i should be by your side at all times. now, you're in a different continent. not to mention, you have no security. do you know how reckless this is? you're not—"

"melanie," adele calmly interrupts, and surprisingly the girl had shut up. "don't worry, i'm completely fine."

but the girl hadn't budged. after insisting adele get some security, she had managed to send a few guards from her connections.

"miss taylor, would you like me to check in for you?" one of the guards asked.

adele glances up from her phone, nodding politely at the woman, "yes, please."

abel insisted on booking a hotel after dropping her off at the airport, that being the four seasons in beverly hills. and although it was quite a ways from brandon's house, adele was grateful for his help regardless.

she stood before the mirror, her hands moving down with the slow motion of the hairbrush. she pauses the brush, and adele had finally felt the risk of the situation settle in her stomach. she straightens her posture, meeting her own eyes in the mirror. what am i supposed to say to him?

"miss," she turns her head to face another one of the security guards, who'd politely knocked first and kept his distance. "the car is ready for you."

she nods with a small smile, "thanks, i'll be right down."

adele hadn't known how she was able to wait until noon to go see him. but she knew he enjoyed his sleep, and would only make it possibly worse to go there sooner.

as the car drove through the heavy commute of los angeles, adele couldn't help but remember the last time she'd been there, with expectations to see brandon. however, he'd gotten on a plane the same day to see his ex girlfriend.

she shakes her head of the thoughts, realizing that it'll only make her feel worse than she already does.

"we'll be waiting around the corner, ma'am." the man says as she slips out of the car, and she nods in response, still slightly aggravated with her assistant for giving her these guards in the first place.

déjà vu began to hit the girl, paired with the nerves raging through her body. she'd felt like she was in some sort of dream as she approached the front door.