Chapter 4

Title- The Rescue

By- InuVampireChan

Genre- Romance

Pairing- KakaIru (Kakashi x Iruka)

Words- 10,657

Characters (no spaces) 47,626

Chapter 4

"We need to start a fire, I can probably catch some fish to I bet you're hungry." As if to prove him correct Iruka heard the rumble of the others stomach and a small smirk fell over his face. "Definitely hungry." At his words a not so quite rumbling was heard from the copy Nin's stomach and Iruka couldn't help but smirk.

Moving to his feet he brushed himself off and headed back over to the river. Catching fish with Kuni wasn't hard at all. It was good target practice with the Pre-Genin to, using a living and moving target. After getting six Iruka returned back to the campsite to find the fire had already been started. "You didn't have to do that Kakashi-Sensei, you're hurt badly."

Kakashi looked up from the fire and gave a smile, or what Iruka was assuming was a smile when all that changed was his single visible eye. Iruka really wondered if he was smiling below that mask and if he was, what it would look like. Shaking his head he stepped over to the other and handed him three of the fish. "We'll roast them." It wasn't much of a meal, but it was better then food rations in Iruka's opinion, and much more filling for someone who was held against his will. The sticks were stuck into the ground with the fish on the ends and hovering over the fire. It was like roasting marshmallows, but something that if not cooked right could make them sick. "Kakashi-Sensei, did you learn what those people kidnapped you for?"

"No, they for the most part left me alone, occasionally asking what I was there for. From what I saw though the target wasn't there." Iruka's eyes widened at that piece of information, looking to Kakashi curiously. "I watched them for about a week and the target never made an appearances. I was writing a letter to deliver to Tsunade-Sama using Pakkun to ask for directions when they surrounded me. I was preoccupied taking out the people in front of me and didn't notice the dart that headed for my back." He seemed disappointed at that. Iruka moved a bit closer to the man and offered a gentle smile. "Everyone makes mistakes Kakashi-Sensei, as much of a great Ninja as you are, even you can't predict and stop everything."

Kakashi rubbed the back of his head, appearing to Iruka slightly nervous or uncomfortable now. Shrugging the academy teacher grabbed one of the fish and checked it over before handing it to Kakashi to eat. "If I didn't look when you were dying I certainly wont look now." He was teasing the man but out of the corner of his eye he was sure he saw some of the tension leave the others body. Iruka grabbed another of the fish and checked it over before turning his back to Kakashi and starting to eat his dinner. It wasn't much but it was definitely better then food rations and starving.

When night rolled around Iruka rolled out a sleeping back and told the Sharingan user to take it. He rejected, fought a bit, but eventually Iruka got him into it and stationed himself up in a tree. A few days without sleep wouldn't hurt him, he had gone through worse when the academy and mission desk papers started to build up. Honestly couldn't his coworkers just stand up for themselves and stop accepting run down reports that were of no use to the village? He understood some of them were afraid of standing up to the Jounin but they weren't that bad, Kakashi proved that their was a sensible side to some of them. Asuma and Kurenai though she got annoyed with him bossing around the Jounin was still one of the more sensible ones. Iruka sighed and pushed his thoughts away, focusing more on staying awake and watching for any enemy that could stumble upon them. They were fairly far away though so he trusted no one would come looking for him this way. If they were lucky enough to avoid the Ninja of Suna when being so close to their border.

Iruka had managed to stay awake the whole night, not once waking Kakashi to change shifts. The copy Nin needed the rest he could get and if he was actually sleeping and not faking it, Iruka knew he had to be exhausted. He roused the Jounin when the sun was finally up, informing him they had to get going if they wanted to reach Konoha before nightfall.

"Mm, Iruka who came with you?"

He knew that question would eventually come up, finishing zipping his back Iruka slung it over his shoulder and took off for the trees, Kakashi right on his tail. "Genma and Raido were assigned on the mission with me. We were told to save you and take out the mark though I guess we got our mission half done." He sighed and scratched at his scar. "I told them we should split up. They were covering the upper floors and Pakkun and I took the first floor and basement. You weren't to hard to find though we got lucky when escaping."

Kakashi kept even pace with him, obviously slow for the Jounin but Iruka was purposely doing that. He didn't feel like stopping to re-stitch up wounds again. "Mah, you did a good job Iruka-Sensei, Genma and Raido probably headed back already." Iruka nodded in agreement, hoping his friends really were alright. He felt bad for leaving them back there but he really didn't have much of an option considering the situation.

The trip home was surprisingly more eventful then he thought it would be, or was hoping at least. They were so close to home when Iruka stopped dead in his tracks and reached out, grabbing onto Kakashi and holding him still. The Jounin looked to him in confusion and Iruka pressed a finger to his lips to single the man should be silent. "I sense something." He felt the Jounin stiffen and instantly look around, possibly shocked Iruka felt it and he didn't. Chakra, though weak it was clearly around them. They must have been waiting for the two of them to make their appearances. Iruka should have known he couldn't be lucky enough to get home without a problem.

The sound of a Kuni headed for them push Iruka into action. He knocked Kakashi out of the way and dodged the Kuni, looking around for where the person could be hiding. They were in trees, Iruka had the advantage if he could just spot where the man was hiding. He glanced back to Kakashi and saw the man dealing with another person who was probably in a team with the one hiding in the trees.

"Always watch your back! Isn't that one of the Shinobi laws!?" Iruka stiffened at the voice and spun around in time to lean out of the way of the Kuni. The blade slid through his arm, cutting his shirt and skin. Reaching into his pack Iruka dug out a few Kuni and tossed them at the enemy, jumping to the next tree to put some distances between him and the other person. A few more Kuni came his way and Iruka managed to block a few of them with his own, one managed to get him in the side much to his displeasure. Iruka winched and grabbed his waist, moving out of the way before another headed to him. He needed a plan something—and an idea struck him. Forming a few hand signs Iruka formed himself a clone that instantly took off for the woods leaving him to distract the opponent. Iruka engaged the enemy in close combat Taijutsu, landing a few hits and getting decent enough wounds he would at this point be required to head to the hospital. The clone returned to Iruka and showed him the plan was ready to be activated. Taking off for the wounds himself, ignoring the shouts he was getting from Kakashi and the enemy, he led the other into the trap that he had set up. On each tree was a bomb scroll and the enemy had landed right into the trap making Iruka smirk proudly at himself.

"H-Hey what is this!?" He growled out, eyes landing on each of the scrolls that had boxed him in. He took another step forward, right into the center of the seals. Iruka winced as the movement set off his traps. He ducked behind a tree as scrolls each exploded at the same time. When he looked back out, the field was completely empty meaning that the scrolls had done their job and done it well.

"Iruka!?" At the sound of his name being called Iruka looked up to the trees and smiled at Kakashi who tossed the defeated Ninja onto the ground. "Are you alright?"

Iruka nodded and grinned up at the man in the trees. "Don't underestimate me Kakashi-Sensei I can handle one enemy. Scrolls are sort of a—Umino specialty." Joining the other up in the trees he looked out and instantly spotted Konoha. "My parents were scroll experts. Traps, explosions, seals, things like that are what we are best at." He turned back to the man and smiled. "Were almost home let's hurry." The wound was starting to sting and he was sure he had some internal bleeding but overall he could drag himself home with no trouble. Iruka took off for the gates of Konoha with Kakashi and less then a few minutes later they landed down on the ground right in front of the gate.