C h a p t e r. 1

*So sentimental, not sentimental no*

I stared out of the smudged window on the slightly broken school bus, music blasting through my headphones. Houses and trees passed by as the vehicle traveled down the fairly empty street. As the bus neared my stop, I turned off my music and grabbed my book bag, throwing it over my shoulder. Turning back around to check if I had left anything, I felt a soft tap on my shoulder. I look up to find Sean standing next to me, holding my pencil pouch in his hand.

"You know, closing your book bag is a crazy concept?" He said with a smirk on his face.

I roll my eyes and reached for my pencil pouch, only for it to get lifted higher up into the air.

"I think the saying goes, finders keepers, losers weepers."

"Come on Sean, I need that for my weekend homework," I stand up on my tippy toes trying to reach his hand.

He walks to the front of the bus, ignoring my comment. The bus comes to a halt and I exit. The chilly fall air blew through my hair as I watched the school bus pulled off to its next location.

"Wow, my nerdy bestie misses school already?"

I turn around an face Lyla, my long time best friend.

When I first came to Seattle when I was 11, it was pretty much impossible for me to make new friends. All of the people that I talked to would either ignore me, continue in their own cliques, or would find something about me to pick on, whether it was my personality or my completion. During the first month of school, I received constant bruises and cuts from the other students. Eventually, I got to the point of considering suicide at such a young age. Just when all my hope seemed to run out, I met another new student, Lyla. We became so close, almost inseparable, because of our similar situations.

"You wish. I'm just so glad it's finally Friday," I say letting out a sigh as we began to walk towards our house.

"Speaking~ of Friday, are you coming to the party tonight?" Lyla spoke with excitement in her voice.

I hesitated,"Ehhh...I don't know about that. You know I don't really like parties."

"Come on (y/n)! It's Senior year! And just because you've...had a few embarrassing moments like-"

"You promised-"

"I mean the vomit in the flower pot-"

"Lyla st-"

"-and getting knocked into the pool-"

"Plea-"

"then passing out when you walked in on people having s-"

"Ok! Ok! I think we get it. Thank you so much Lyla for reminding me of my previous parties."

Silence took over the group as we walked a few more minutes. We stop in front of Sean's house and I almost left when Sean's phone buzzed in his pocked.

"Who's that from?" I ask with curiosity.

"O-Oh, it's a post from Jenn."

"Wow. He s t i l l has a thing for that girl?!"

Jenn is one of the most popular girls at our high school. During Freshman year, Jenn and I were in almost every class, so it was impossible for us not to speak at some point. We started talking because we had to do a project in Biology together. Ever since that day, we gossiped all the time and hung out after school. Jenn and I continued this friendship until Junior year. One day, she ran up to me in the hallway and slapped me, claiming that I spread a rumor about her. That supposed rumor was heard by other colleges and Jenn lost her chances for all the top schools around the nation. We haven't spoken since then.

"Sean, really? You've had a thing for that girl since 7th grade. Don't you think it's time to let her go?" Lyla cut in.

"I-I guess? Every time I try to get her out of my head, she just...comes back into my life somehow?"

I let out a heavy sigh. I knew that no matter what would happen, Sean would never change the way he feels about Jenn and he would never notice how much I cared about him.

"I've gotta go guys. See you at the party Lyla."

"You're actually coming?! Yes! It's about time that you've had other human interactions that just us. See you later bestie," Lyla said while giving me and hug and walking away.

"Bye Lyla! Bye Sean!" I walk next door and went up to my porch to find the door already unlocked.

When I walk in my house, I am greeted with the strong smell of beer and weed. I try to hold back a cough, afraid of being caught of coming home later than usual. I sneak through my living room and notice my dad knocked out on the couch with bottles of beer surrounding him. As quiet as possible, I walk into my room and shut the door softly. I sit down in my chair at my desk and open up my book bag, ready to start my weekend homework, only to be hit with sudden realization.

"Sean still has my pencil pouch."

I left out a grunt of frustration knowing that if I don't start soon, I won't be able to finish my assignments in time.

"Well, time to go over this little pendejo's house."  

***

Hope you all enjoyed the first chapter :)