C h a p t e r. 3

*Near Mount Rainier, Washington. 2 days later*

Curve after curve and curve. Trees surround us everywhere we go and there hasn't been a car in sight for days. My back, and I bet Sean and Daniel's too, were sore as all could be from sleeping under that bridge. It was our only option due to the rain storm that decided to come throughout the day. Daniel stops walking and stands still for a moment, letting out a sigh.

"No man. We can't stop here. We gotta keep going. No pouting ok? Come on," Sean tries to get Daniel moving again.

"My feet really hurt. These shoes suck! And we've been walking for four days."

"What? Only two! Don't even try that shit!"

"Sean! Watch it!" I step in.

"Look...this is a real adventure!" Sean says trying to get Daniel excited again." So...let's hit the trail!" Sean says pulling Daniel along with him, only making Daniel pull away and sit down on the ground in defeat.

"Where is dad?"

Sean and I pause as we look at each other, not knowing what to say.

"Why isn't dad with us? Doesn't he want to go camping too?"

"Of course he does Daniel." I kneel down to his height," but he can't come with us. Ok? We've talked about this."

He lets out a disappointed sigh," Ok...I just wish I was back in my room."

"Hey," Sean joins me down on the ground with Daniel," At least we don't have to go to school on Monday, right?"

This made Daniel's frown turn into a small smile," Yea."

"Look! Everyone's gonna be so stoked when they find out how far you walked!"

"Really? Really? I bet dad would be too! Do you think we've walked like...maybe a hundred miles?"

"Probably two hundred! Feels like it."

Daniel jumps up in excitement, feeling a lot better. Then, we continue down the road.

"But next time, dad better get me a good pair of shoes! Like yours!"

"Dude, a bigfoot doesn't need good shoes."

"I'd rather be a wolf! Owwooo! We could all be wolves."

"Yeah...yeah that works. Just, work on that howl and you've got it Daniel," I say with a smile.

"Hey you know what? Let's see if you can walk the whole way, without complaining once, huh?" Sean says with a smirk.

"Uh...like you don't whine too?"

"I don't whine!"

"Yea you do Sean," I say agreeing with Daniel.

"No I don't! I...I tag your ass and run! You're it!"

"No way! Not fair! Okay...I'm a zombie! And I'm going to eat you! BLAAAAH!" Daniel runs after Sean and I, but attacks the slower Sean and pretend bites him in the arm. Sean continues the role play and pretends to get bitten by Daniel. And with that, we continue down our tedious journey to who knows where.

E p i s o d e 1: R o a d s

***

We continued down the road for maybe another four hours, with the normal "I'm tired," or "Are we there yet?" comments from Daniel. While we are walking, we see an entrance sign for Trout Spring Trails.

"Nice, this looks like a perfect place to camp out for the night," Sean says, walking up to the bulletin board

"Cool, there's a river nearby."