C h a p t e r. 4

*State Route 7, Washington. The next day*

"Look, it's easier now. We're going downhill. You just gotta keep walking."

"Yea, you said things were getting better yesterday...and the day before," Daniel says with a pout.

"I'm sorry dude, I'm trying my best."

"Let's walk a little more, there will be a rest stop or something where we can buy some food," I say to Daniel.

We continue down the flat surface for a few more minutes before we come up on the gas station to our right.

"Hey, there's something ahead!"

"Yup, must be the gas station we saw on that sign," I say to Daniel.

Sean, Daniel, and I all walk into the store and are greeted by isles of food and stacks of antique gift items. We roam the store, playing a few rounds of a claw machine for a Power Bear ball. Sadly, we couldn't get one, leaving Daniel in a sour mood. Daniel explores the store while Sean and I walk over and grab us some hot dogs.

"Do not drink that coffee if you like coffee."

Sean and I turn around and face a man sitting down at a table typing on his computer. We walk over and both happen to glance at his screen, noticing an article and pictures of nude people.

"I know what you're thinking. What the hell is this creep looking at."

"Uh, no, I don't mean..."

"It's not as weird as it seems, though. These people, they only want to live a normal life, just...naked. I mean if they're not harming anyone who's to say they're wrong?"

"Nobody."

"Yeah, I agree. Yes! Why should we all be the same? Who says so? Heh, never mind, I'm getting carried away. Name's Brody. I'm kind of an online traveling journalist..."

"Sean."

"(y/n)," I give a small wave.

"What's an...online traveling journalist?" Sean questions.

"Just a fancy name for someone who drives around in a car...writing about people and...stuff. There's a few websites that pay me for these papers since I know how to write."

He continued," Nice to meet you guys. You traveling with your brother and girlfriend?"

"Uhh, yea...we're on the road. Going south," Sean responds flustered.

"Good for you. The best way to learn is on the road...the earlier, the better."

"Well, I'd love to talk and avoid work all day but...I'm already up against a deadline. Safe travels, dude."

"Thanks, man...se ya around."

Sean and I continue to walk around, picking up a few more items to our basket. Sean spots a tent and motions me over towards it.

"Hey, this would be great for all of us for nighttime."

"Ouch...look at the price Sean. That's $60 for one," I say pointing towards the price tag.

"I mean...we could steal it. You know how much that would help all of us, especially Daniel."

"What? No way! We're already on the run, we don't need to add another reason to escape," I say in shock.

"Yeah...I guess you're right about that," He says disappointed.

We leave the expensive tent and start heading towards the counter for checkout, when we hear Daniel run past us.

"Oh, a puppy!" He says getting on the floor," Is this yours?"

"No...just another stay mutt," the lady worker says.

"Awww...he must be sad. What's his name?"

"That's a she!" She snaps back.

"Oh...right. Can...we have the puppy? Please?"

"Let me think...I don't know, its a pretty huge responsibility," Sean contemplates.

"We need adults to take care of her...not kids," the lady responds.

"She's right Daniel," Sean responds.

"We'd love to...but she's right. We can't take care of a dog right now," I add in the conversation.

We place the items of food and water on the counter and check out our purchase. Sean grabs a map and we head outside and sit down on the bench nearby, eating the food we bought.

"Where you guys off to now?" Brody says walking by.

"Uhh. South, I guess," Sean responds.

"Right on. Pro tip, don't feed the bears."

"See ya Brody!" I wave goodbye.

We all sit down on the same side of the bench to get a better view of the map. Sean and Daniel debate back and forth on where to spend the night when we hear a voice behind us.

"Hey kids. Looks like you're out camping."

We all turn our heads around and face a man, "Oh...yea. Just going over trails and stuff."

"Seems dangerous to be out here all alone...maybe you're the ones who need to be watched."

"Huh? What do you mean? We're just-"

"Sure hope you paid for all of that. We don't tolerate shoplifters."

"Sir...we paid for this, and the map was free," I say disgusted.

"Well let's go inside, and you can show us what you bought."

"No...thanks...we have to go," All of us start to stand up and walk away.

"Nope." The man pushes Sean back from moving, "You're going inside. Don't make this worse for yourself, kid. Or I will."

*Discuss, Flee, or Attack*

"Uhh...excuse us sir, we're just hiking. I swear," Sean tries to discuss with the man.

"Then lets go find out if you're telling the truth."

"We have to get going."

"Sean..." Daniel says uneasy.

"It's ok Daniel. Look, our dad is waiting for us," I say trying to reason with the man as well.

"Okay, you can call him from our phone," He says, grabbing my arm in the process.

"Don't touch me!" I try to yank away from him.

Daniel shakes on the man's arm, trying to free his grasp, "Let go!" The man reaches out and smacks Daniel on the ground, making him fall.

"Don't fucking touch him!" I kick at the man.

He pushes me back so hard to where I fall over on my feet, hitting my head on the bench behind us. There's a loud ringing in my ears and my vision blurs as I see Daniel run away and Sean start to punch the guy. Before I could do anything, I slowly drift off into a pit of darkness.

***

Hey everyone, I'm really sorry for the lateness on my uploads. I've just been busy and had a lack of motivation recently but I should have a lot more chapters this week due to my inactivity.

~린지