Gyrating Like the Mechanical Schematics of a V8 Engine

Sorry that this is a few days late, but it’s also a few pages longer than normal, so enjoy!

---

Last time on Wither Wings.

“I think I’d like to be normal for a little while, and the Avengers Initiative just isn’t helping with that,” Max explained. “Plus, Fury’s a total ass.”

-

Max stifled a laugh as she watched Tony and Banner argue, thinking maybe, just maybe, things might be okay for a while.

---

Like many times that Max had awoken that week it was with a bang, this one accompanied by giggles and a booming laugh as well as hushed whispers and an English accent. She sat straight up, the pillow flopping back onto the bed even though it was clenched in her left fist, the right side of her hair smushed just enough so that if gave her that bender look, and she grimaced.

Bang.

“Shh, shh, no–”

Clatter.

“We have to be quiet!”

“Oh, don’t even suggest that–”

Giggle.

Gasp.

Boom.

And even when she launched herself up off of her bed and opened the door, sliding out into the hallway with her socks making her skid an extra two feet to the left, the grimace had still not left her face. But then again, Max was a grimace kind of girl, especially when she found a blonde Fabio that probably drank Jamba Juice intravenously nipping at the neck of a gorgeous brunette in the middle of what Max was beginning to consider her living room.

“Can anyone deign to let me have one day to sleep in?” Max spoke tersely to them. “Just one! That’s all I’m asking for! It’s not like I want a shit ton of money or some Ritalin Rat eyecandy,” she gestured to the pair as she continued to shout at the ceiling and down the length of the hallway, making sure to wake the occupants of the bedrooms. “I have not had a decent night’s sleep once since I met any of you people and for the first time in your rather cushy lives,” her voice became so outrageously loud she began to shout at the top of her lungs, her finger pointing to the sky. “YOU’RE NOT GOING TO SLEEP IN EITHER.” Max stared at the couple in front of her, eyes wide and nostrils flared as she huffed and puffed.

“I thought the heroes lived in HQ,” the brunette muttered to the blonde.

“We moved,” Max replied in a blunt, dead pan voice.

A door lazily swung open about a foot, a quite lethargic Banner resting heavily on the door knob as he wiped sleep from his eyes. He blinked and curiously peered at the people who had interrupted his beauty sleep that he so sorely needed. “Oh,” he said as if it was obvious. “So you’ve met Jane and Thor then, Max? Well, you had talked to Thor before, he made you cookies, remember?”

“Those were shit cookies,” Max fumed, still hung up on the fact that sleeping past 8 o’clock was a rarity in the hero life.

“Lovely,” Banner chose to ignore the situation and left with a click of his bedroom door lock much like a Galapagos tortoise retreating into his shell when the pesky young things on the island bothered him too much for him to really care at all.

But with the absence of Banner brought the presence of someone very different coming up the private elevator. The chime sounded as the doors open, a redhead with a tight bun and sharp glasses stepped out, clipboard in one hand, Smartphone in the other. Her heels clacked as she texted away, her teeth chewing at her glossed lips in concentration.