Chapter VIII ↝ Paulo

Another day, another game. Or well, it was not just another game - it was the first game of the season and it is always exciting to see how the team does after a rather long summer break with the loss of some and the addition of others to the squad. And oh yeah, it was also the first time we would be playing with a new assistant coach on the bench and for some reason, that was freaking me out a bit. I had an urge to of my show skills and impress her. I always wanted to do so when there was an important change in the staff that could influence my future but this time was really something special. Maybe because Andrea was something special. 

--

We were all seated in the dressing room in our new jerseys getting the last bit of pep talk and information from Allegri before the game would begin in just 5 minutes. 

"Dude. Would you mind stopping that? I am trying to focus on what he is saying here," Higuain hissed at me by whispering in my ear. I did not know what he was talking about until he pointed at my leg bouncing unruly up and down. 

"Oh, I am sorry. I did not notice," I whispered back and stopped the apparently very annoying motion. 

"Thanks, man, I appreciate it. But what is the deal with you today anyway? I know you and the Russian Goat are having some problems but is it really that long ago since you last got some action from Irina on the homefront?" Higuain laughed quietly and nudged me in the side. 

"F**k you," I said and looked El Pipita, as he is also known, directly in the eyes trying not to laugh too hard. "No, I am just a tiny bit nervous I guess. I do not know why, but yeah, do not worry about it, I am fine. Trust me." 

Allegri finished up his speech and to be honest I had not really heard that much of it, but we all left the dressing room clapping and cheering, ready for the game. 

-- 

We had played exactly 63 minutes when I heard the referee blow his whistle indicating a substitution. I had so far played a good match and despite the score being just 1-0, I knew we were going to get Fiorentina very soon and I was ready to go for the goal. But what I was not ready for was the red light on the board showing the number 21 indicating that I was the one being replaced. It made no sense to me and thus I was forced to accept it I was no near pleased about the decision made by Allegri. I exhaled loudly as I was making my way across the field receiving just a simple shoulder shrug from Cuadrado. When I reached the sideline Allegri gave me a pad on the back and complimented the way I played which did not make much sense to me. Why would he take me off the field if he liked the way I played? Usually, he would not say a word if he was not pleased so this was unusual. I pulled a shirt over my head and sat down on the bench next to Pjanić. "Nicely played, Paulo," he said not taking his eyes off the game.

 "Thanks, mate. I hope you do not mind me sounding a little cocky but I really do not get why Allegri chose to take me off the field though,"  I said obviously sounding frustrated. 

"Me neither, but I do not think that it was his decision," I turned around and faced Pjanić in confusion. "Andrea seemed very certain when she pointed at you talking to Allegri. So it might be her doing." Since when does the assistant coach get to make the decisions?  

The rest of the game went on with Fiorentina seeming much more in control and the ball possession ending up in their favour. But at last, just two minutes after the reduction to 1-1 Morata made himself match-winner by scoring an incredible goal from outside the box and securing the 2-1 win. 

--

After showering I was still focussing on how I apparently was not good enough for Miss Costas herself. Most of the team had already left when I was packing up my last belongings but a few of the guys and some staff were yet to go home so chatter could still be heard. Though my mind was roaming with questions and I kept myself busy. While tying my shoelaces I made the decision that I would go upstairs and knock on Andreas door for some answers. So I did, and within a very short period, I was standing in front of her office hoping she would still be in there. I gently knocked on the door a few times and after a just moment, a soft voice told me to enter. Stepping into her office closing the door behind me I was met by a pearly white smile and her sitting behind her desk. "So, what can I do for you, Mr Dybala?" Something about her stupid nickname made me feel warm inside despite me still being infuriated.

"I thought I told you not to.. never mind. If you are not busy I was hoping to maybe discuss your decision of taking me off the field after just 63 minutes? It surely was not my worst game ever so is something wrong that I should know of?" I looked directly into her eyes when speaking but despite being the one standing up and looking down at her I kinda felt like being back in the principles office in middle school. Not that my principles ever looked like this I must add. 

"Ah, so that is why you are still here so late in the evening. I can inform you that I was not completely unsatisfied with your performance but I assume you are still not pleased with my choice," Andrea began. "You see, both you and I know that you on the regular are an excellent player but just because you were the shining star on the team last season does not mean that you will forever continue to be that, that you will never become injured or that someone even better could not bypass you at any moment and take your spot on the team. I hope you understand that I have to explore other options as well and give other players a chance to show their worth too. But to be fair, you had more than an hour to impress me today, and I guess you were alright, but within 63 minutes I must say you could have done better. I want to keep everyone on the team, including you, at your very best at all times so I would rather have you be unsure of how much time you are going to get on the field and therefore perform at a maximum the whole time rather than you just lurking around and resting on the laurels. So, was that answer enough to your question?" Andrea spoke in a very professional but yet oh so provoking way while she simultaneously got up from her chair, walked around and sat down on the edge of the table facing me. 

She took me a bit by surprise with her almost preaching speech and for a moment I was unsure of what to answer her. But somehow I gathered enough courage to both slowly walk closer and closer to her until we were just inches apart not breaking the gaze at any moment and then say: "So the boss was trying to teach me a lesson simply because she can?" 

The intensity of the moment was almost overwhelming and right now it was as if two alphas were about to face each other in a battle for the throne. Andrea kept looking at me and after a few seconds she spoke confidently: "yes, and exactly what are you going to do about that?" 

I do not know what went through my head at that moment but the next thing I knew of was me leaning in with a hand placed under her chin and going for the kiss. Our lips touched very quickly before she pulled away and broke the kiss. But her soft lips were not separated from mine for very long before she gave in and passionately kissed me back. There was no doubt that we both at this instant wanted for this to happen because it did not take much time for the kiss to grow hungrier with the taste of her tongue and the feeling of her skin underneath my fingers when I grabbed her neck and pulled her closer to me. Right now, nothing else mattered and all I could think about was her.

//

UPDAAAAATE! Wow, it has been so long, but damn I missed writing. I hope some of you are still with me and still want to read my story <33