(24) - Darkmoore Castle -

By the time they reached the barrier, every hair on Abby's arms and neck stood on edge. The magick washed over her, scratching her worse than her itchiest lace dress. She scratched and Margo swatted her hand away.

"Don't," she said. "Scratching won't make it stop."

Frustrated, Abby threw her hand down and tried to ignore the itch. Her eyes wandered over the wall of black stone at least twenty feet high and the stone towers that sat nestled behind its protection. The castle was a huge, imposing structure of sharp edges. Twigs snapped in the distance. Abby whirled around toward the sound.

A cart ambled its way toward the castle's back entrance. It was similar to the one she'd rode it though it missed a canopied back. Instead, the bed was draped with a sheet. Whatever laid under it was lumpy. Two Aelurians in armor similar to Petrious and Eligan rode in the front. As the cart drove over the bumpy terrain, a furred hand fell through the cart's slatted sides. Abby yelped and stepped back. The cart pulled to a stop.

Margo grabbed her and pulled her down, hiding her behind some red bushes. She clamped a hand over Abby's mouth. After a few seconds, the guards returned to driving the cart and disappeared down the road. Margo sighed and released Abby.

"What was that?" Abby said. The hand, limp and lifeless, shot back into her mind.

Margo stood. "The cost," she said solemnly. She pursed her lips and said no more on the subject.

Was that what she'd meant when she'd said how frivolous it was to use magick for a party? Because the toll it extracted was someone's life. Shivers ran up and down Abby's spine. The king that sat on the throne, inside these walls was not a good king if he would sacrifice the life of his people for entertainment.

"Well," Margo said, stepping toward the barrier. She turned toward Lucy. He eyed her suspiciously. "Time to pledge your undying love to me."

For the first time in his life, cat or Aelurian, Lucy was struck speechless. He turned toward Sebbi and Abby, jabbing a finger into his ear. "What did Miss Treestump just say?" He pulled the finger out and searched the tip as if looking for a fleck of ear wax or some other rational reason that might explain Margo's words.

Margo thumped her foot against the ground. "Don't call me that. That was a mistake. I overcompensated with too much incidenia root. It made me," she looked at her feet. "Oddly shaped."

"You looked like a knobbly old stump," Lucy said.

"Or a lumpy, old cushion in need of a good fluff," Abby chimed in.

Margo scowled, her whiskers twitching. "I'm a practicing," she began through gritted teeth, hands clenched at her sides, "Wizardess. I'm allowed to make mistakes."

Lucy turned away from the stiff mouse-woman and back to his other companions. "So, did Miss Puffs demand I confess my undying love for her?"

Margo growled. "I—" 

Lucy turned away from the mouse-woman, ignoring her in perfect Lucy fashion, head held high, tail thumping in annoyance, ears laid flat against his skull. All signs a cat gave when you were the most boring thing to them on the planet. Abby had gotten that look twice from the cat himself. She grimaced. Those were dark days indeed.

"Miss Treestump thinks you love her," Sebbi said. "Poor thing's delusional. You don't love anything except your reflection."

Lucy snorted. "I love Abby, too."

Abby blushed at her former cat's straightforward confession. Even if it was familial love, this had been the first time anyone beside her father and Mimi had told her they loved her. Of course, Abby loved him too, Though she would never say so out loud in front of other people, cat people, or fairy-though-not-quite folks.