(26) -Blood Moon Ball - | Part Two

"Why's he standing beside the king?"

The woman quirked a graying eyebrow. "Because he commands His Highness' army, little kit," she said and stood upright.

The king strode across the room and took a seat in a massive black throne, the seat could fit three of him currently, but Abby suspected that would not be the case in his Aelurian true form. The commander followed, standing to his immediate right, an ax hefted over his shoulder.

As soon as they were seated, a woman entered through the doors, small and pale, with a white plait trailing down her back. Her skin was marked, thin spirals of green ink running up her arms and neck. Two children followed at her heels, their footsteps less animated, white veils covering their heads. She took a spot on the king's left and leaned in. She whispered something in his ear, and the whole crowded ballroom held their breaths.

Her eyes dazzled, as she stood back up, a satisfying grin gracing her face. The King shared this smile and then nodded to his guard.

At once, the Wanesguard advanced on the guests. None of them wore surprised expressions. Instead, each one watched the guards with interest, waiting to see what they would do. Abby saw a woman with golden hair get plucked from the crowd. She yelped, her eyes frantically searching the room. Another man, with dark hair, was snatched up, his arm being twisted behind his back as he was lead toward the throne. And then, Abby saw the boy with the blond hair who had asked her to dance, Rawlo, being grabbed and dragged toward the king. Fear gripped his features. Tears glistened in his eyes.

The Aelurian beside the king raised his ax and grazed the blade with a gloved fingertip. He flashed a fangy smile as the three were forced to kneel before the king.

"Midigan and Dioraa kal," the king said. The air in the room grew thick, stilted. A few guests shifted their eyes from one to another, faces grim. Abby's eyes were glued to the scene unfolding before her. "Of harvest blood," the King continued, his voice echoing like thunder in the vast room.

He turned toward Rawlo. A dark stain had begun to spread across the boy's crotch. The Aelurian turned up his nose and growled, his back arched as if ready to pounce. The king raised a hand and the man relented. "And Rawlo, firstborn of Midigan and Dioraa Kal," the king paused here and the whole room began to buzz with whispers "You have been found guilty of conspiring against your king, your home."

The woman cried out, tears cascading down her cheeks. "Ben' nessren." Her trembling hands reached for the King. "Please," she begged. "Not Rawlo. He wasn't involved."

"An affront to me, is an affront to Aelurus," the King said, tapping his fingers along the arm of his throne, eyebrow cocked, face a canvas of smug indifference. He's enjoying this, Abby thought. "I carry the kingdom's name." He stood. "I am Aelurus."

The woman turned toward her husband, her eyes pleading with him. "Do something," she said. "For our son."

The man remained stoic, his eyes never leaving the king. The king smiled. "It would appear that only you know how to die properly, Dioraa kal." The woman fell forward as broken sobs escaped her lips. Dioraa kal nodded. "I have not forgotten my blood."

The king nodded. "No," he said, stroking his chin. "And for this, I'll allow you to die in your true form." He turned toward the woman in white next to him. Her eyes glowed a sickening green as she raised her hands, but Dioraa shook his head. "No, Ben' nessren. I'll die as my family dies."

The woman, Midigan, stumbled to her feet, but a wanesguard forced her back to her knees."What of our daughters?" she screamed.

The smile on the king's face widened. "Dead," he said simply.