Chapter Eight - Broody Lover

The phone barely rung before he answered.

"Can't stay away huh" He murmured

"No" I replied meekly. "Why is that?"

"Scarlett, you should sleep" Xavier exclaimed, ignoring the question I had just asked him. It was a question for myself anyway. Why couldn't I stay away from Xavier.

"I can't sleep. I keep thinking" I whispered softly as I placed my free hand behind my head.

"thinking? About?"

"You know what, Xavier." I alluded to the kiss, and the numerous other times we'd been inches apart, on the edge of passion. I couldn't bring myself to say the words, because every thought took me back there and sent shivers down my spine. The last thing I needed was another rejection.

"But you went on a date, with another guy" He replied, his voice gruff. He sounded slighted, like he needed to say something more.

"You don't want me Xavier, but I'm finally ready to try and live life, that includes dating."

"I don't do relationships Scarlett and you deserve more than a one night stand."

I wanted to throw caution to the wind. I felt more for Xavier than I had for anyone else ever. Even if it was one sided.

"Do you find me attractive?" I asked lowly.

"Scarlett...."

"Answer the question"
He didn't answer, for a really long time. I could hear him breathing heavily and I wished I was against him, feeling the rise and fall of his chest, his warmth against my skin.

"If you hadn't been drunk the other night, I would have thrown you down on the bed and made love to you. We'd have been explosive, our bodies would have writhed together all night long and it would be so amazing that you'd want me to stay forever, but the reality is, I'm an asshole, and I would have left you." He spoke half jokingly, but for some reason I could hear truth in his words.

the way he spoke really affected me. My breathing quickened, my heart raced, my stomach was dancing and I was hot. Not just temperature hot, but head over heels in lust hot. I closed my eyes and imagined his lips on mine again. I imagined how he would have touched me if he kept going. His lips running along my neckline and down the curve of my breasts.

"Scarlett" He murmured again, breaking my concentration from the almost X-rated day dream.

"Yeah"

"I need to go" Xavier whispered, I could hear the guys behind him, yelling something about girls and beer. My heart tightened and a jealous-type feeling washed over me. I couldn't let this go. I needed to see him.

"Come over"

"Scar... I can't"

"As a friend Xavier, nothing more. I promise" I said the words, but I wasn't sure I meant them. I just wanted to see him again.

"Okay. I'll have someone drop me off."

The call disconnected before I could say anything else. I lay in bed, wondering if he'd just said he was coming over to get me off his back. However a little while later my room filled with headlights from outside. I quickly sat up and pulled on a long t-shirt. I heard Xavier call out to whoever was driving and then the lights left.

I padded down to the front door and placed my hand over the door knob. I could see Xaviers figure shadowed in the doorway. I couldn't stop the raging butterflies or the lusty thoughts in my head, but I could compose myself so they weren't so obvious. I took a long slow breath then I opened the door He smiled at me, which was threatening to turn my insides to mush. I smiled back. He looked down, and his eyes stopped at my bare legs. I watched his face as his eyes widened.