Chapter Nineteen - Better Man

A/N Hey guys! I'm on a time limit now to finish this for the wattys! so keep reading!!! and fingers crossed any one of my three books do well! Also, will be uploading the edited version of Going Up, and slowly editing Going Down as I edit it for the E-book as well! I hope you continue to support me by purchasing once finished! love yas!

Xavier POV

Yes, I'd made a mistake running from the room after we first got the news, but I'd needed a moment to process before devoting my attention to Scarlett. I needed air, I needed to breathe. I'd never meant to be so long, but when I left the hospital grounds to get the much needed air, I stood out on the footpath a few feet from a car that careened across the road and hit a cyclist.

I was the only one there at that moment, I didn't think about what to do I just ran out on to the road. The cyclist was in a bad way, he was barely conscious, he was bleeding profusely and I couldn't see where it was coming from. It was clear he was dying. He'd asked me to stay with him, so I did. He died before the doctors made it out to the road. He died holding my hand. Before he took his last breath he looked at me and smiled.

Then the police came and I had to answer their questions, Scarlett was on my mind the entire time, it must have been at least an hour since I'd left her alone. I couldn't call, my phone was in her car on the seat. Finally when I had been allowed to go I ran through the hospital grounds and back through the corridors. I ran right in to Nick, his face was thunderous.

"Decided to be a man after all?" He scathed. "You're nothing like your parents"

"Nick, I, there was an accident I just" I tried to explain, but he held up his hand.

"I don't want to hear it"

"Where's Scarlett?"

"She's waiting for surgery. You should leave" He suggested, strongly.

"No, I need to tell her I love her." I looked around aimlessly, I needed to find her.

"She deserves better than you. I want you to leave Xavier. I know that Sarah and Janie have this ridiculous idea that you and Scarlett are meant to be. But I see through you. You're selfish and immature and you've done terrible things. You don't deserve love, least of all from my daughter."

I clenched my teeth and shook my head. He was right. She deserved more than me, I'd always thought it, but she'd made me feel that didn't matter. She made me feel like I was a better man than I felt.

But I had done terrible things. I'd killed someone. me.

I saw Scarlett out of the side of my eye, and forgot my thoughts. I ran past Nick and down toward the bed. I tried to tell her I loved her as I stood there looking into her blue eyes. She had forgiven me the minute our eyes met, and it killed me. I had run, I had left her alone. She deserved more. I didn't want to be the guy that walked over her just because she loved me blindly enough to allow it.

She said it would be okay as they wheeled her away, and I knew she was right. As long as I listened to Nick. She would be okay.

I walked back to him and nodded. "You're right"

Nick's eyes widened and he nodded "I know"

"I'll leave once I know she's okay" I mumbled.

"You're doing the right thing."

So why did it feel like I was making the worst mistake of my life.

After the surgery I broke up with her. Like a true coward, I told her it was over. I walked out of the hospital room, my heart thumped, I was barely holding it together, every part of my heart and soul wanted to turn around and take it all back. I was lying.