Letters

"The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing." - Marcus Aurelius

Two

This past week, Keenan and Kyle put me through a speed dating marathon. Literally! Each evening I met three men at a pub. They sat at separate tables, and each was allotted ten minutes to get to know me. The man I enjoyed visiting with the most was the one I would spend the rest of the date with. I know this kind of thing has been done on reality shows, but I had never done anything like that in my life, and though it took me miles away from my comfort zone, it was actually kind of fun. Exhausting but fun.

The men were nice, attractive and successful, but none of them sparked in me an inkling of real interest. No matter how open I forced myself to be, there was just nothing there, which makes me wonder if there is something wrong with me.

So, one week and fifteen men later, here I sit, wrapped in a fleece blanket, lounging on the deck, staring out at the sea in the evening light, just as alone as I ever was. Do I consider the past week a waste? No, I don't. Entertaining and interesting, but not a waste. Of course, you couldn't pay me to ever go through that again. Once was enough to last a lifetime.

The buzzing of my cell phone startles me a bit. Glancing at the caller ID, I smile when I see my friend's name and I quickly answer it.

"Now how did you know I needed a friend right now?"

"I felt the vibe, girl."

I laugh, happy to hear that familiar New Zealand accent. "It's good to hear your voice, Megan."

"Yours too. What have you been up to?"

"You will never believe it."

"Oh, now I have to know."

"Well, I have just ended a week of dating."

She coughs. "I don't think I heard you. You did what?"

"I kid you not. I went on a date a day, from Monday to Friday."

"Wait, you're serious?"

"Keenan and Kyle set them up," I say, amused by her incredulous tone. "And wait until I tell you how." I shared the entire preposterous experience with her.

"Wow! Your boys are too much."

"Tell me about it. They are too much something." I pause as Megan snickers. "I'm glad you're amused."

"Well, you have to admit, it's funny and unusual, and it's so the twins."

"It is," I agree, smiling. "They say they have my back at all times."

"I guess that's good to know. Who knew that would include the love life department as well?"

"Yeah, who knew?"

"So, there really were no prospects from all that hard work?"

"Not one. I wonder if something is wrong with me. How could I go out with fifteen men and not feel a spark with even one? Does that sound normal."

"It does, but that's because none of them were the one. I know I have said this before, but he's out there somewhere, Lyla. You just need to open up and let the universe take care of the rest."

"Channeling your guru side again, are you?"

"Of course. I may be Australian-born, but I am married to a man who was born and raised in India and it's inbred. During the years we lived in India, it rubbed off on me"

I chuckle. "A Mormon guru, huh?"

"You know it! Not many of those, I can guarantee it. His parents still aren't too happy with me turning their son into a Christian, but they love me anyway, thank goodness, and they haven't written us off."

"Thank goodness," I agree. "So how is Aabharan and that handsome son of yours?"

"How do you know my son is handsome?"

"Because every time I talk to you, you say, "My handsome son this, or that." And though the only photos I've seen of him were from his teenage years, he was still a good-looking kid."

"Oh, well. Aabharan has been driving me crazy since he retired, and Marc is still handsome and stays busy with the bed and breakfast chain."

"How many have you opened now?"

"We opened the fifth a couple of months ago. You should come and tour them sometime."

"I know, and I will one day."

"I've heard that before."

"I know, I know. Really, I will soon."

"Okay. Now, besides the whole dating marathon, how are you?"

"I'm fine, really." I sigh, wishing I didn't suddenly feel so alone.

"Are you sure? Because you don't sound fine."

"I'm sure, Mother"

She snorts. "I am definitely not old enough to be your mother."

"I don't know. Fifteen-year-old mothers make the tabloids all the time."

"Sorry, but I was locked up until I was eighteen. My father stuck me exile. He threatened to come looking for me on my first date if the poor guy didn't have me home by ten o'clock on the dot. Good thing Aabharan didn't scare off easily or we wouldn't be together now."

"How long has it been for you guys?"

"Thirty-six tumultuously-blissful years." She sighs and I laugh.

"Well, I'm glad things are going so well for you. I think I missed my chance at tumultuous bliss."

"Lyla, you are only forty-seven. You have a lot of life left to live and love."

"I know," I say, taking a deep breath, attempting to clear away all negativity. "And thanks for the pep talk. I really needed it."

"No problem. You take care of yourself and remember I'm here if you need me."

"I will." I say goodbye and hang up.

Gazing out into the distance and pondering our talk, I stay out a while longer before finally going back into the house.