Chapter 24: The New Assignments

The Armageddon had been handed over to the new Captain. The Intrepid was given orders to report to the Fleet yards for overhaul. Connor was now stranded on Deep Space 9 without a ship. "Benjamin, incoming warp signature. It's the Crossley. She's asking for permission to dock" Dax said.

"Permission granted, Lt. Pylon 2 lower" Benjamin said seeing the new class, the Crossley class on the main screen. "Captain Crossley, will you accompany to lower pylon 2 so I can transfer the commands to you?" Aaron said softly. Connor nodded "Of course Admiral" He smiled.

Aaron and Connor walked onto the lift "Lower pylon 2" Connor said to the computer. The lift moved from Ops to the pylon. Soon, both officers arrived at the airlock to the new ship, the USS Crossley. "Ready, Captain?" Aaron asked softly.

Connor was nervous about taking command. "Yeah" He said softly. The Admiral opened the airlock and boarded the ship first with Connor closely behind him. This was Aaron's first time on the Crossley class ship and it was Connor's first time too so they wouldn't know what deck they are on or where anything was.

"Crewman, the turbo lift. Where is it?" Aaron asked pulling rank. "Down the hall and the third left, Admiral" The Crewman smiled softly giving him the directions. "Thank you, Crewman. Carry on" Aaron said walking down the corridor following the directions of the crewman to find the turbo lift.

Connor looked around as they walked taking in every part of the ship that would soon be his. "Wow. Just wow!" He said. "What?" Aaron said turning the corner and pressed the button to call the lift to them. "The ship. It's gorgeous. I mean a class and ship named after me" He smiled looking at Aaron.

The doors hissed open and the two officers walked in. "Bridge" Connor said making the lift move from their current location to the bridge. Moments later, the doors opened and soon the words made everyone stand to attention "Admiral on the deck". "Captain on the deck" another said aloud. "At ease" Aaron said. "Stand down" Connor said. Everyone relaxed and walked to their stations.

"Bridge crew. Today is a proud day for Starfleet. Today, Captain Connor Crossley will take command of this fine vessel. The USS Crossley NX-448674. Captain, are you ready" Aaron said standing in the middle of the ship. He had to transfer the command codes to Connor for the ship to be his.

"Yes, Admiral" Connor replied. Aaron held his PADD up ready to read the words aloud for the crew to hear. "All hands, attention to orders. From Starfleet Headquarters, Office of the Admiralty, to Captain Connor J. Crossley. As of this date, you are requested and required to take command of USS Crossley. Signed, Fleet Admiral Aaron W. Batchelor, Stardate 499031.3. Computer, transfer all command codes to Captain Crossley" Aaron said aloud with a smile in his left corner of his mouth.

"Command codes transferred" The computer said. "I relieve you, Sir" Connor said putting his hand out to the Fleet Admiral. Aaron shook his hand "I stand relieved, Captain" Aaron said walking off the bridge. "You have a fine ship and crew, Captain. God speed" He smiled as he entered the lift.

Aaron re-boarded the station. He heard the docking clamps releasing. He turned back seeing the Crossley move away from the station. He sighed softly an headed back to Ops to get his orders from Starfleet Command. Most of the fleet had been reassigned to boarder patrols or science missions to different sectors of the galaxy.

Aaron walked into Ops. "Admiral, the USS Killer is to patrol Sector 9. 3.9 lightyears away" Sisko said handing the PADD over to the Admiral. Aaron nodded taking it "Thank you, Captain. God speed and if you need us. Call us straight away" He smiled heading back to the lift. "Upper pylon 3" He said to the computer.

The lift dropped and headed to pylon 3 where the USS Killer was docked. Aaron read over the details of their new assignment. He walked into the turbo lift "Bridge" He said. The lift shot him up from his current location to the bridge.

"Helm, begin de-docking procedures. Ops, alert DS9 that we are ready to disembark. Tactical, sensors to max" He said walking from the lift to the command chair. Helm, Ops and tactical nodded "Aye, Sir" Tilly took the Operations station, Burnham at Science, Tuvok at Tactical, Stamets at the Engineering station on the bridge. And Mr Kim, who got promoted to Lieutenant, took the Security station.

Hugh walked onto the bridge. "Permission to enter the bridge, Admiral" He said looking down. "Of course, Doctor. Have a seat" He said offering him the Commanders chair. Hugh walked round and sat in the Commanders chair. Paul looked at Hugh and smiled at him.

Aaron choose no-one to be his first officer. f he had to leave the bridge, the role would fall to Commander's Burnham, Stamets and Tuvok. Aaron would have to appoint someone to be his first officer. Either from within the ship or get someone new in from somewhere else.

The ship was now a great distance away from the station. "Helm set course for Sector 9, warp 9. Engage" He said giving the order. Tom nodded imputing the coordinates and speed into the ship's conn. The ship's nacelles hummed and flashed blue as the ship jumped to warp.

"Sir, did Starfleet say why we are going to Sector 9. Sector 9 is were the Jem Hadar and Breen are" Tuvok said looking over at the Admiral. "No, they didn't Commander. My orders were to patrol Sector 9. We shouldn't run into any Jem Hadar or Breen ships since the treaty was signed. It's the Borg, I am more worried about" Aaron said placing the PADD down beside him.

Hugh got up and slowly walked to the ready room "Coffee, Admiral?" Hugh asked. Aaron nodded "Please, doctor. You know how I like it" He said to the Doctor in the doorway of the ready room.

Hugh returned back to his chair with the Admiral coffee in hand. "Here you go, Admiral" He said handing the coffee over to him.

The entire fleet had their new orders. The Dominion threat was no more. But the galaxy still had its threats out there.