Chapter Fifteen

Schools are over-rated!              

At least that's what Zoe thought, glaring at the books she splattered on the floor behind the pool side. She was sitting at the back of the Smith's mansion, her legs dangling  inside the pool, as she tried to do her assignment- that is, if doodling and and attempting to draw the head of her neighbors at the back of her notebook counted as trying. She peeped inside the water, pouting at her reflection which revealed the frustration on her face and suddenly she felt the urge to dump her books inside.

My rift with Halima is going to cost me my high school degree.

She sighed as she stared at her phone like she has been doing for a while with the hope that she would reply the numerous apology messages she sent to her. Halima has been absent from school ever since their fight on Monday  and  she wouldn't answer Zoe's calls either. Zoe went over to their place yesterday on her way back from work and was shocked to find their gate locked. Now she is paranoid that something drastic has happened.

"School is a scam!" She exclaimed, picking up the mathematics textbook she had dumped earlier. She narrowed her eyes on the first question, bringing the bottom of her pen to her mouth. She paused and skimmed to the back of the textbook, starring at the answers to the questions which she'd have definitely copied if Mr. Ali, the maths teacher hadn't specifically said 'show all workings', her second most hated word. That's definitely not one word, but  yeah, you get the drill. Just in case you are wondering, her first most hated word is 'school'.

She dropped the mathematics textbook, then picked up  her biology note. "I'll just do biology instead." She murmured.
She opened her note to the assigned page."Draw and label a tilapia fish, and give a standard definition of  an anchovy ." She read aloud, tracing her hand along each words on her note. She scoffed, shaking her head in disbelief.

You must be kidding me, do I  even know a sub-standard definition? She continued starring at the question.

She removed the pen from her mouth, replacing it with her her thumb, gnawing on her fingernail. "Will this give me a million dollars?"

No! She answered mentally.

"Will this take me out of this country?"

No!

"Does knowing what the inside of a Tilapia fish look like help me in the future?"

Hell no!

"Then I'll just do my account assignment instead." She concluded, dropping her biology note and picked up her account text book, silently cursing whoever it is that made biology compulsory in all high schools in her hometown. 

That was exactly what Zoe Brown has been at for the past two hours and she still hasn't gotten any work done. She almost burst into tears as she checked the time on her wristwatch and saw it was almost time to prepare diner. This means that the day is almost over, and it will soon be day break where she has to submit the assignments she hasn't even done.

Teachers are mean!  She exclaimed internally. "I mean, who even gives this much assignment on a week day?" She frowned.

Zoe, this assignment has been given to you since on Monday and it's Thursday. Her subconscious reminded her.

"True, but still, why-"

"Wow, isn't this a sight for swollen eyes?" Her mother called, walking up to her. Zoe winced at her mother's blunder, peeking up from the note she was staring at.