Chapter II

The prelude to my story

Upon entering the house, Gahia was waiting for us in the hall. She told us that August was in the library with the others, and immediately we went to the place. Once we entered the room August stood up and stared at me full of anger. It was the first time that someone (even when it was just my father) intimidated me without even saying a word. I could not understand his anger, but even so, with a voice almost inaudible came out of my mouth a shy "I'm sorry"

"Do you think that by regretting things you can solve problems?" He asked in a very loud voice, and then banged on the side table that adorned the living room. "This is not a game Gabrielle, things go further, it's about you, your life is in danger." In that moment, we were shocked by the loud noise that came from the door slamming shut. I could not even notice when he entered the room, but there he was, half standing in front of everyone and with his hands resting on the desk behind him, but despite his posture, his great stature and shape were evident.

"I suppose this is the part where my presence is essential," he expressed with great sarcasm.

"You're late, Angel!" Exclaimed August abruptly.

"I had a small mishap along the way, nothing important!" He explained maintaining the voice tone while directing a murderous look to Valiant.

Bluntly August proceeded to explain clearly what was happening.

"In a period of 5 days my daughter Gabrielle will turn 21; for humans, this is nothing more than becoming an adult, but for me it means much more than that."

While August explained why we were meeting there, I could not help but look at that stranger and think how beautiful he was "he's a bit arrogant, but even so he looked very attractive and even had a good sense of fashion, he is just sexy, I would dare to say that he was almost perfect, undoubtedly he does honor to his name" I finally came out of my thoughts and picked up the thread of the conversation at the moment when August began to tell us his story.

"In 1666 while living in London, England, I met Adrielle, a woman who changed my dying way of seeing life. Day after day I watched her without her noticing. While I saw her I could see that she was different from all humans. She lived with fervor, she loved life as no living being and it was undeniable that in her view the only fact of being alive was simply extraordinary."

"It had only been a week since the day she discovered that I was watching her from the top of the old tower on the other side of the castle. The next day I waited sitting on the dusty stone carved in what used to be the balcony, that's when I realized that although at first I thought it was just attraction or obsession, without even noticing, I was already deeply in love with her. However, despite my recondite wishes to have someone special by mi side, knowing how important life was to her, I felt incapable of condemning her to live submerged in the dark depth of this eternal death. So I look beyond my desires to find a way to contain my cravings and find myself in the ability to get away from her."

"However, if in fact the existence of a supreme being to all existing beings in the universe is true, I would also dare to say that he was able to prepare us the crudest fate that could be granted to any creature on the face of the earth," he said with bitterness and tears in his eyes.

"In September of that same year, there was a big fire in London. The fire started in the morning while I was resting away from everything and everyone. By the time it got dark and I could get out, there was fire everywhere, and already aware of what was happening I looked for Adrielle all over the place. Feeling afraid that something might happen to her, I went to look for her in the castle. Although I was moving quickly, the fire was imminent, and my skin, just like the skin of any vampire was vulnerable to it. Suddenly, when I heard her voice coming from the stairs shouting my name, I stopped, then I saw her and without thinking about the weakness I could feel due to the strong burns that were on my body, I felt peace knowing that she was fine. At that moment I looked at her and noticed that a cold glow came from her body. Strangely I can not explain why, however the fire could not touch her, rather it moved away as if it wanted to open the way for her to pass through. Although I was surprised by what at that moment my eyes saw, I did not stop to think and I could simply rejoice for her welfare. It was then when looking towards the ceiling she shouted "careful", but when I looked, the luxurious lamp that adorned the hall already was on top of me."