Chapter 33- Percy

Chapter 33

Percy

      The earth shook dangerously. Percy saw things falling: cups, pillows, lights, lamps, and demigods. The whole ship wobbled. Okay, he was scared. He found himself fall off the couch and hit the ground. Screams shattered the once quiet room. He tried to push himself off the ground, to help his friends, but he could barely move. The shaking was so strong that it kept him flat against the ground.

       For what seemed like years, the shaking finally stopped. He instantly sat up. He looked at six pale faces.

       “How did you know there was going to be an earthquake?” Piper asked in a shaky voice. She was probably the palest, being the first one to become an ice sculpture and from then being jerked awake by an earthquake.

       “Gaea spoke to me in my dream,” Annabeth said. “She ordered Khione to attempt to kill us. Apparently she failed.”

       “First a fire, then a snowstorm, now an earthquake,” Leo grumbled. He stood and began to pick up broken items off the ground.

       “And it happened all in one day,” Percy added.

       Leo scowled. “I hate this. I hate this all.”

       “Khione turned me into an ice block,” Piper growled. “So count yourself lucky. It was freezing!”

       “Yeah, yeah, we all get that ice princess is a little cold.” Leo rolled his eyes. “As I can recall, she’s tried to kill us on multiple occasions.”

       “She’s the worst minor goddess ever,” Percy commented. He’d met some really mean gods, but Khione was something else completely.

       “Even though Khione was the evil snow goddess, it is snowing outside.” Annabeth looked back from peering out the window. “And it’s the middle of summer.”

       “Are you saying we go play in the snow?” Hazel asked.

       Annabeth twirled a curl with her finger. Her gray eyes glittered. “Maybe…”

       “I vote yes!” Leo yelled, raising his fist into the air. “Let’s go!” Without a jacket, he barreled outside.

       “I’m actually getting a jacket,” Hazel said with a snicker.

       “Are you coming, Percy?” Annabeth asked.

       “Yeah,” Percy replied. He turned around to see Annabeth shoving his jacket into his arms. “Hey, why are you so giddy with the snow?”

       She flushed. “I want to take a break from always being a demigod. Instead of saving the world, I want to be a person who could just enjoy life, not try to keep myself out of danger. I’ve been in danger of being killed since I was seven.”

       “True,” Percy pointed out. He slipped his jacket on and followed Annabeth outside.

       The whole meadow was a winter wonderland. The snow was covering each blade of grass. Snowflakes fluttered down from the dark sky.

       “Wow. It’s winter in July,” Percy remarked.

       “It’s beautiful!” Annabeth lifted her hands to the sky. “I love this!”

       Leo was trying to make a snow angel, but he kept lighting on fire, so the snow melted around him.

       Hazel was throwing snowballs at Leo and laughing.