6

--

"I'm so..." Samantha's throat ached as those green eyes filled with tears, "impressed and speechless right now," she gazed at the older woman, not knowing how she could have ever been so lucky. "You're not supposed to be doing so much though. On your feet. The doctor said..."

"The doctor said that I should be able to manage just fine without strenuous activities," Adriana assured her. "Believe me, I haven't been straining myself."

"Mom," Jordan pulled out the blonde's chair carefully, "please be seated."

"Kid, you're going to make me cry," Samantha said to him as she sat down and her voice trembled a little. "Geez this is too much for me right now. I've never...had this...I've never had anyone do this for me."

"Well we are more than obliged to show you what you have been missing," Adriana patted Jordan on the back as he pulled out her chair with a smile. Then seating himself, he felt contented as the brunette nodded in approval at his expertise in being a gentleman.

As they all passed around the dishes and helped themselves in silence, the blonde couldn't contain her feelings for such a prolonged period. Gradually, a tear slipped down her cheek. The two of them sat on opposite ends of the small table that was covered in a green and white table cloth. Had they been fatiguing themselves all afternoon just to put this all together? How and when did they plan all of it? She was so proud of Jordan. He was growing closer to Adriana in such a short span of time because of the length of time spent with Adriana. And she deeply admired how the brunette allowed herself to become attached to the kid.

"How was your day?" Adriana asked softly as she used a knife and fork. It was a habit that neither Jordan nor Samantha had grown used to between them. And therefore, both of them admired the older woman's table manners whilst eating.

"Um, it was pretty busy," Swan admitted whilst chewing, "the usual; arresting people and interrogating them."

"You must be so tired," the brunette said, using the knife to cut up the vegetables in her place.

"I really thought I was tired, but after coming home to this," Samantha shook her head and smiled, "I'm so wowed. I can't even swallow my food properly right now. This..." she swallowed as those green eyes fluttered close, "tastes amazing. I love it."

"It's called home cooked food," Adriana winked at her whilst smirking. "You should let us indulge every once and awhile."

The comfortable setting was so new to Samantha and Jordan though. Sometimes they dined with Andrew's family, on Sundays or maybe during the week after a spur of the moment kind of decision. And it was a beautiful moment to sit around a table and engage each other on the day's events whilst eating a decent meal. Especially for the kid. Jordan should have been having a life that encompassed breakfast and dinner together as a family instead of fast food and microwavable meals. Now, they obviously had an angel inside their lives.

That's how Adriana made both of them feel. She had flown in bearing wings with scars on her back, and the brunette was slowly beginning to change them both.

Jordan, Samantha noticed, was a very avid reader instead of sinking himself into video games throughout the day. His manners at the table improved tremendously. In fact, she couldn't ever recall teaching him how to set the table. But he did these things naturally now. The kid even took pride in the way he dressed, just to squeeze out compliments from Adriana about his handsome appearance. It was almost as if he deeply admired and treasured her, because they formed a bond during the days inside the apartment over the summer.