Dog-gone Principles

I stared down at the vague directions that were jotted down for me to follow. What green door are they referring to? There are tons of green doors at True Cross Academy! How am I supposed to narrow it down? I can't just open them all until I find the right one.

I shoved the "directions" in my pocket, along with my hands. My shoulders slumped as my feet shuffled along and I dragged my tail behind me. "Man, this crap really sucks."

I kicked a rock into the bushes. "You could at least try and be considerate of others, you know," dog Mephisto came out from the bushes, wagging his stub of a tail behind him as he came into view.

"Eh? Mephisto? What are you doing here?"

"To direct you to your destination. I can't rely let you rely on Tsubaki for directions, can I?"

"Cut the crap, Mephisto! I mean why are you a dog right now? Why not just walk around in your normal form?"

"My, my, aren't we demanding?" I continued to seethe in response. "Well, as the principle of True Cross Academy, I can't exactly walk around in broad daylight like you."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I continued to seethe, breathing heavily in my anger. Mephisto simply looked at my tail in response, raising his dog - brow at its presence.

"You know, a true gentleman knows how to keep his tail tucked in tight when in public." Mephisto switched forms into that of a principle in a cloud of purple smoke and sparkling stars.

"Now you're making fun of me for being a demon, too?" I spat at him.

"No, no, not at all. I'm just saying that not all of us are as... showy."

I snarled at him. "You're a demon, too, you wacked-out sonofa-"

"My, my, Rin. Aren't you a hot head today?"

"Cut the crap Mephisto!"

"Now, now, Rin. I simply came to direct you to your destination. Isn't that what you desire at the moment?"

I sneered. I hate being wrong! But he is right, no matter how obnoxious he is. I needed guidance, and not the scribbled notes from Mr. Tsubaki kind. "Fine," I spat at him, not even trying to cover up the fact that I was still pissed off royally.

"Good man. Now, follow me, Okumara. I'll lead you to your special training we've got prepared for you."

We started walking. My hands shoved in my pockets, I stared at my feet, feeling a little more uncomfortable with every step than I was the last. Finally, I spoke, if only to stop the pressing silence. Calmly, I asked him, "I thought you wanted Yukio to handle this one?"

Mephisto sighed at my accusation, "And I'm guessing it's Mr. Tsubaki who told you this?" I nodded in response. "Well, I won't lie to you. It would have been nice to have Mr. Okumara on hand. However, regardless if he could have done it or not, we still would have requested your presence for this task."

That's bizarre. Everyone with a temtate and a black coat around here thinks I'm completely incompetent.

Mephisto broke our silence with his next set of words, "Ahh, here we are!" Before us stood an ancient looking green door covered in ivy vines and scratch marks. Wonder how those got there? This for looks like it's seen more of history than even Mephisto.

"Do you have your key I gave you, Okumara?"

"Hmm? Eh, yeah right here," I fumbled with my pockets, searching my jacket, my pants, my shirt.... "Eh-heh." I gave an unconvincing smile to Mephisto, with which I tried to say "well, this is kind of awkward".