Family

A/N: OKAY it goes without saying that this chapter probably took too long to release, haha. I have reasons for that, and I think it's time I fess up.

I suffer from severe OCD, severe panic disorder, and am trying HELLA hard to stay clean from self harm. I'd like to note that this is the longest I've ever managed and I'm so proud of that!!! However, it means sometimes writing is really hard. I'm a senior and going to an expensive college next year (it costs $50,000) and need time to write for scholarships too. Sorry guys. I promise you I'm doing my best! Anyways, enjoy the chapter!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"What are you doing here? How? Why?" I had so many questions, I couldn't get them to form before words came from my mouth. The sentences scrambled over one another, my tongue playing Twister with my emotions, and losing.

"Hey, Rin. How have ya been?" Shiro spoke from the chair, waving at me.

No, not Shiro. Not my dad. The old man's dead, I saw it with my own eyes.

"How can this be? Dad, you're.... you're.... but I saw...."

Dad laughed a few times. "Dead? Yeah, I know. Doesn't make any sense at all. To tell you the truth, I'm having a hard time making sense of this, too." My mouth gaped in utter disbelief. This is impossible! Yet... here he is, right in front of me.

Dad laughed again. "Come on, Rin. Are you gonna stand there all day looking like an idiot or are you gonna come say hi to your old man?"

My eyes began to sting with tears. I closed my mouth. This was just to much. His lopsided smile, his teasing words, his laugh.... it was all too familiar. I took one step closer, then another, and another. With every step, my tears fell faster, harder. With every step, the image of my father blurred in my eyes.

Before I knew it, I was sprinting towards him. I thrust myself into Dad's arms, crying embarrassingly hard.

"There now, Rin. It's alright. It's ok. I'm here," Dad held me in his arms as I cried into his lap. He patted my head to comfort me. "I missed you, too, Rin. I missed you, too."

I heaved a big breath. "Dad...." I choked. I could barely get my words out. Each sob was bigger than the last.

"Shhhhhhh, now, Rin. It's alright. I'm here." Dad grabbed me tight, coming down off his chair and holding me tight.

I took a few deep breaths, calming down in my father's embrace. "You have no idea how much I've missed you, Dad." It's a phrase I never thought I'd say back when he was around. You really never do realize how good you've got it 'til it's gone.

He hugged me even tighter. "I've missed you, too, Rin. So impossibly much."

And with that I erupted again. The tears fell to wear vision was nothing but a pipe dream. My heart was ripping to shreds. "Dad, i- it's all my fault. If I hadn't said that... that I.... that you..."

Dad rubbed my back, "shh, Rin. It's alright. I forgive you. I'd always forgiven you." I sniffled a few times, trying to process this. Dad rubbed my hair and smiled. "You were stressed, I get that. After all, it's not every day you find out that you're the son of Satan!"

The name of my biological father made blood boil once more. "No! I don't care what anyone says, Satan isn't my real dad!" I lept to my feet, shouting as loudly as I could. "You're my real dad! No one else!"

The old man gave me a soft smile in response. He was thinking something, though I don't know what. A silence filled the air as my shouts finished echoing through the room. After several beats, Shura cleared her throat.

"Don't forget that you're here for a train in exercise, Rin. That's what we brought you here for, did you already forget that?"

So she's still just as apathetic as always. "Oh, yeah. Sorry Shura. What is it you guys need me to do, anyways? Especially in this ancient place?"

Shura sighed: deeply, full heartedly. I could tell she'd been trying to allude to something, but had given up. "I forgot you have such a thick skull," she spoke. Normally I would've been offended, but I was emotionally exhausted from the roller coaster ride I'd just come off after the sight of my father. She continued anyways, waving off my presumes ignorance. "We brought you here to deal with this situation. Your father has been possessed by an anti soul. We could have dealt with this ourselves, but, well, we thought one of you boys should be the one to do it.

My mouth opened and closed. I was shocked, shook down to my very demonic core.

So this is why they wanted to give me some "special training." Damn them! Damn all these bastards!

"Rin," My father spoke, snapping me out of my daze. I looked at him, tears welling up in my eyes; my heart feeling it would burst. "It's ok, Rin. It's ok."

Mephisto sighed behind me. Has that stupid clown been here the entire time? "We don't have all day Mr. Okumara. We need you to get move on."

I swallowed- hard. This didn't feel real. This couldn't be real. My old man is already dead! How can this be happening?

Slowly, my hand crept to Kurikara. I slipped off the red case, revealing the blue sheath of my sword. The sword my father had given me.

Dad....

Before I could manage to do anything else, my hands fell to my sides. I couldn't do this. I wouldn't do this. Not to him. Not to my old man. My voice was barely audible, a quiet whisper, "I've already lost you once. I don't think I can do it a second time."

My old man sighed, not deeply, not in an irritated way, but a respectful one. it sounded as though he understood. Without saying a word, he grabbed the hilt of my sword and pulled.

Instantly, blue flames erupted around me as my demonic form was released. I couldn't feel, I couldn't speak, I couldn't move. I was frozen in time. It was as though I had left my body, like everything happening was a dream. I was a spectator watching a movie: this wasn't my life but someone else's. A virtual reality.

Shiro turned the sword and forced the hilt into my hands. "Rin, tell your brother Yukio I love him, and that he shouldn't stress too much for me, okay?"

My vision blurred with my tears, "Dad... no... stop..." My voice was weak, almost raspy, I spoke to him.

"I love you both, you and Yukio. Don't forget it." With that, he forced the hilt into my hands, ensuring that I wouldn't let go by placing his palms over the tops of my hands. My eyes grew wide as I realized what was happening. Before I could do anything, he shoved the sword into his chest, pulling me forward with the force. He began to sparkle in a way, and blood came from the sides of his mouth. Shimmering blue dots, like tiny stars, formed around him. "Your father loves you..."

His voice faded away with his life. The dots began ascending towards the heavens, leaving as though they could fly, and shared mind.

I watched, sobbing, unable to comprehend anything happening before me. It was all too fast, too familiar. I didn't want to understand. Understanding meant pain, more pain, the very thing I'd been doing my best to avoid.

The dots flew out through the ceiling, disappearing along with my former guardian, and the only person I would ever call "Dad". I slumped to my knees, and the sword followed with me, pulling from my father's limp, lifeless body. I pulled the sword close. This was one of the last things Dad had ever given me. I sobbed some more, curling into fetal position. I laid there for hours, letting my body shake with my sobs.

Shiro...

Dad...

Don't go. I don't want to be alone again....