Born to R- Ow!

Chapter Ten

Born to R- Ow!

Shock is the only emotion on her face.

"K-kill me?"

Her breathing is shaky, and her body trembling. She didn't look scared, per se, just...

Shocked.

"Do you have any idea who would want you dead?"

She shakes her head slowly.

"I don't know anybody with enough money to hire a... you,"

A blush passes over her face and she looks away from me. I hate it. I know she thinks of me as evil, bad. And I can't even disagree with her. But seeing her look like that, like she was ashamed of herself, it broke my heart.

But she had a point. I'd seen her apartment, she wasn't exactly in the top 1%.

"Maybe a-an ex," I say, the sentence was harder to say than I thought it would be, but the thought of her with another man irked me for some reason. I'd never been that way before with women, I didn't care. But with her... I didn't want anyone else to know her like that.

She rolled her eyes at me, shaking her head.

"I don't have exes," she tells me, "I don't do relationships, I do one night stands. And apart from you, none of the hotels or apartments have been exactly classy,"

I can't stop myself watching the way she presses her legs together as she talks about that night, and my blood beats faster knowing she's affected by it to.

Though the thought of other men irked me, it really annoyed me that she hadn't been treated the way she deserved. I wanted to spoil her in every single way possible, and I intended to. But I knew I would have a fight on my hands.

This girl had no idea how amazing she was.

"So you saved my life?"

My eyes snap to her face, and I can see the cogs turning in her brain. I smile at her.

"Yeah, I guess in a way,"

She hugs me suddenly, her arms wrapping tightly around my torso and her face burying itself in my chest. After a second, I hug her back, and it feels like the most real moment we've ever had, and I take a moment to enjoy it, because I know I have to ask her something and I don't think she's going to take it well.

"Thank you," she whispers, stepping back and wiping a few tears away.

"Brooklyn..."

She was looking up at me, with no resentment, no anger. Just her big beautiful Bambi eyes. She definitely had more freckles than last time sprinkled over her face, and her lips were parted, and she licked them unconsciously. Fuck me, I was in so much trouble with this girl.

"Do you know who hired you?"

I shake my head, and her shoulders slump.

"Rex is working on it. But... I have to ask you something,"

"Sure, shoot,"

I sigh, taking a deep breath, and keeping my eyes connected with her the whole time.

"Have you... Have you ever killed someone?"

She frowns, looking confused.

"What?"

"I know it's a weird question, but it's something we got with the case. They think you killed someone,"

A look of horror passes over her face before she closes down. I see her eyes glaze over, and she blinks, looking away from me.