Chapter 2

Five Minutes

Almost every day, Jericho's mentors asked her the same question,

Will you join the X-Men?

And every time, she responded the same way,

No.

In the long years she attended the academy, her mind never changed. She wasn't one to exert herself to danger and although the professor promised she would be safe, the various times Rogue had gotten kidnapped said otherwise. Jericho wanted to be helpful but not to the point where her safety was jeopardized. Logan wouldn't allow her to go on missions anyway. He had grown too attached to let Jericho go anywhere beyond an hour from the school without him.

So when she heard that some people were at the mansion looking for participants to help for a program, she could already hear the professor's voice ringing in her ears.

You should join Kitty and Bobby, Jericho. You won't be alone in the X-Men.

Absolutely not.

She didn't give in to their constant nagging. That's why she liked being around Logan so much. He never nagged her and instead they both sat in silence and ate pretzels.

And it was exactly what they were doing when Kitty skipped into the common room. Bobby and John followed her closely. At the sight of the three new teens, Logan ruffled Jericho's hair before stalking out.

"What's up his butt?" John asked and Jericho hummed.

"He doesn't like you because you are annoying and he hates Bobby for following Rogue around like a lovesick puppy," Jericho said before switching the telly on. As she flipped through the channels, Kitty kept pestering her about the professor's secret meeting.

"If the professor does send us on a mission, you should go with us, JiJi!" She exclaimed but Jericho immediately said no.

"The day I become an X-Men is the day earth will stand still. Until then leave me alone to sit in the safety of the mansion," Jericho grumped. Kitty scoffed and stuck her tongue out at her friend.

"Wuss."

~

When Scott Summers informed Jericho that the professor wished to see her, she wasn't at all surprised. Unfortunately, she also knew what he was going to ask of her. Jericho wasn't sure why the professor thought she would ever change her mind about joining the team, but she decided to go along with it and give him the benefit of doubt.

When she knocked on the professor's office door, she heard his familiar British voice ring in her head.

"Come in."

When the teen entered the room, Jericho's eyes went directly to an angry Logan, who she had no idea was with the professor. Logan always looked angry, but the sight before her was something she had only seen once in a blue moon. It was rage.

"Close the door now, Jericho," Professor X said. She obeyed. The room had three other figures all standing around as if trying to intimidate Jericho.

One man was decked in a suit that was probably worth than Logan's motorcycle. His dark facial hair was trimmed to perfection and Jericho could see him sizing up the mutant from behind his sunglasses.

Next to him was a redhead woman who although didn't show much emotion, Jericho could tell she was looking over her as well. Jericho saw her shoulders had tightened when they entered the room and she kept an eye on Logan as if waiting for him to lash out so the redhead could interfere. As if she could take down Logan, Jericho thought.

The third one Jericho recognized was the man who had scared away the idiotic morons who wouldn't leave her and Kitty alone at the mall. He still had his baseball hat on but his glasses were now gone, exposing his blue eyes. He offered Jericho a comforting smile which quickly disappeared when Jericho glared at him. But overall between the three newcomers in the office, Jericho could tell who they all were. She had seen them plenty of times on the telly and she was sure the entire world knew who they were.

"Jericho, this is Tony Stark, Natasha Romanoff, and Steve Rogers. They are here seeking our help." The professor said with a small smile.

Jericho couldn't help the scoff that escaped her lips.

"Is this another attempt to make me join the X-Men? Or even worse the Avengers?" She asked and Professor Xavier hummed.

"A small effort, yes."

"I would rather be locked in a box for three years than join the X-Men or the Avengers," Jericho said and glared at the three grown-ups who were part of the other superhero institute.

"I second that. She is not joining either of you," Logan snapped. He quickly grabbed Jericho's arm and tried to drag her out of the office but was stopped by the professor.

"Logan, this is a matter involving Jericho. Please, give us some time alone with our guests."

Logan was about to fight back, and Jericho could even see his metal claws beginning to creep out of his hands, but she quickly stopped him.

"Wait five minutes. And then we can go eat pretzels again," she convinced. Logan growled but conceded. He stalked out of the room mumbling something about pretzels and the door slammed shut.

"You have five minutes to explain why I should join your suicidal support group. Logan's counting the seconds so I suggest you talk fast," Jericho drawled and the professor nodded.

"Jericho, I believe your powers can help the Avengers with their upcoming program. They are recruiting mutants to train-"

"Nope. Stop right there, I am not training for anything," she interrupted, "and if you think Logan will even consider it, you are clearly insane. I am not putting myself in danger for your little experiments."

"I understand your concern but you wouldn't be put in danger-"

"That's what they all say," she muttered.

"You would be safe-" Steve Rogers started but Jericho's impatience cut him off.

"I don't believe you, Captain Tightpants," she snapped back. Tony choked back a laugh by clearing his throat. Steve was not amused.

"I have been around superheroes long enough to know not a single one of you is safe during any mission, program or whatever it is you do. You can't promise I'll be fine, and I am not putting my life on the line just so you can all say you saved the day when in reality, all you did was send me to my doom."

Charles Xavier let out a sigh and rubbed his face. He knew Jericho was a stubborn girl, but he thought her powers were being wasted behind the walls of the mansion. He knew it was risky, but he wanted Jericho to do more.

"What are your powers?" Tony Stark suddenly asked. He looked genuinely interested.

"Jericho here has something we call shadow manipulation. She can travel between shadows and exert herself from her own shadow to control it," Charles said proudly. Tony turned to Jericho, clearly impressed and suddenly wanting to invest in the future of the child. She had potential.

The group fell silent and Jericho checked her watch.

"In the five minutes I granted you, I still haven't changed my mind. Your five minutes are up in three, two, one..."

Logan opened the door. Exactly on time. He glared at the Avengers before gesturing to Jericho.

"Let's go now, JiJi."

And she obeyed.

As the door shut behind them, Charles Xavier smiled apologetically to the Avengers.

"Jericho is a hotheaded one. Convincing her to join won't be easy Mr. Stark, " he said. Tony said nothing but the gleam in his eyes told Steve and Natasha he was truly intrigued by Jericho Kaur.

"It's alright. I like a challenge. She's perfect for the program."

*unedited*