4• Hospital Patient

The Joker finds himself stumbling into Gotham General Hospital after a near-fatal incident.

•~•~•

Torrential rain poured down in the busy Gotham streets during midday. The Joker was taking a short trip to a drug deal he had organised anonymously. Dressed casually in a black hoodie and black loose jeans, his tricolour makeup on full show as he kept to the alleys.

With his head hung low he twisted through the maze of blocks in Gotham, just a few more till he was at his destination. The cold winds numbed his fingers and feet as he stared at the puddles beginning to form. Watching each rain droplet bounce of the ground was mesmerising.

Within a few minutes he rounded the corner of an alley, immediately spotting a shady looking individual with their hood up and their hand stuffed in their swollen pocket. J whistled loudly as the man's head shot up to his direction.

The rain forced the man to squint his eyes as he tried to make out the figure walking threateningly towards him. J was mere feet from the dealer when he dropped his hood and shook his green ringlets out irritably.

The man's eyes immediately widened as he quickly realised who he was selling to. He stumbled backwards, crashing roughly into a dumpster as he fell to the ground. "S-Stay back!" He stuttered desperately, holding up trembling hands.

J rolled his eyes, hunching down so he was eye-level with him. "I'm not gunna hurt ya." He muttered with a tired expression as the man still attempted to push himself farther into the side of the dumpster. Fear had completely overwhelmed him and J knew he was basically useless now.

He let out a deep sigh before quickly reaching into the man's pocket feeling around for the bag. He must have spooked him with his less then gentle movements as the next second a gun was being shakingly aimed at him.

He backed off with his hands held defensively in the air. The man stood gradually, knees wobbling as his narrow face had fear written all over it.

"L-Leave me alone." His voice was weak as he trained the barrel on J's torso, but his trembling had gotten worse and the gun was swaying in the air.

He went to speak when a bullet ripped through the air, piercing the skin of the Joker's abdomen. His eyes were blank as he looked down, retracting a hand to see his hoodie turn a reddish-hue. The man had ran away after firing the gun, the own sound of his firearm scaring him half to death.

J clutched his stomach as he looked around for any help. He then remembered that the Hospital was nearby, as he knew he wouldn't survive if he called a henchman. It was his only chance at surviving, he still had so many schemes and didn't want to waste them all just because of death.

He powered through the rain, hood up as he walked on weak legs in the direction of the hospital. The streets were chaos. Civilians ran left and right in a desperate attempt to escape the noise of the gunshot. He ducked his head and tried his best to stay with alleys, knowing he couldn't risk being caught by GCPD now.

He stumbled through the revolving doors, his legs gave in from beneath him as he collapsed to the floor in a bloody heap. A nurse instantly ran over at the sight. She rolled him over to his back to get a better look at the situation when she let out an audible gasp. The Joker has just walked through the Hospital doors. She didn't know what to say or do as words failed her. She got the attention of a few colleagues and they quickly brought him to a theatre.

He woke up feeling drowsy. Heavy eyelids sealed the outside world from his as it took much of his strength to open them. He could hardly remember a thing from a few hours earlier, but once he could smell the cleanliness of a hospital and the white porcelain room his memory was quickly jogged.

He groaned as his head began to pound from the intense light, and he attempted to raise a hand. But he could feel restraints around his wrists and ankles as he squirmed in the bed, furrowing a perplexed brow.

An aching and stinging sensation erupted from his abdomen as he began to move around in the bed, and he looked down to see a hospital gown over where he assumed to be a bullet wound. He groaned and flopped his head back on the pillow, scanning the room now that his eyes had adjusted.

He noticed a two-way mirror to his left beside the door, and on the opposite side of the room a heart monitor, a single window and other medical devices along with a drip.

His attention was suddenly brought to the door when it opened and in walked James Gordon, in a long navy trench coat and navy trousers. His hands were in his pockets as he casually approached the Clown.

"Hello Comission-er." He taunted, a twisted smile appearing on his scarred cheeks as he eyed the serious man beside his bed.

"My men are covering this whole hospital so if you try anything-" He began, narrowed orbs sternly watching the clown as he licked his lips menacingly.

"Does it-uh, look like I can try anything Comisione-rrr." He smirked, drawling out the word as his tongue routinely escaped his mouth to wet his lips.

Within a blink of an eye angry hands clasped around the collar of his hospital gown as his neck was brought closer to Gordon's furious face. "I mean it. No jokes, gags, or tricks." He spat angrily, his face inches from the painted man's grin.

"I-uh promise." He giggled his typical high-pitched laugh as he watched the Commissioner's face twist in disgust as he back off. He straightened himself out, fixing his lopsided glasses on his nose.

"You're going away for a long time and this city will forget about you."

~•~•~

Sorry for not updating in a while!
This was not re-read so do expect some mistakes.