Introduction

[Click the picture above to hear music composed by the author.]

Our ordinary language flees, spurred to speed by laughter now and then.

As to my inability to write much lately, I've found a solution.

My work till now focused on objective values and clear intent. Taking it together, perhaps I've said all I can in rational language. What does that imply? Instead of declaration, fancy. Instead of argument, image.

Quickly (for me) came the first few of this new collection, "Absurd Haikus, an Autobiography." Then more verses pulled up daily, crying, "Me too!"

 I'm aware of the distinctions between verses of this type in Japan. In English a tendency is to call them all haiku, regardless of whether their subjects are nature, humanity, or abstract ideas. I'm content to join the crowd and dub mine" haiku."

I adhere to traditional haiku's rule of 17 syllables per poem, but ignore its other strictures, for examples, syllables per line. I do so not from obstinance or sloth, but to more naturally conform to the cadences of the English language.

This is not "taking liberties." To quote from Wikipedia:

"Traditional haiku consist of 17 on [syllables], in three phrases... Among contemporary poems teikei (定型 fixed form) haiku continue to use the 5-7-5 pattern while jiyuritsu (自由律 free form) haiku do not....[even] traditional haiku masters were not always constrained by the 5-7-5 pattern." 

Find throughout these pieces veiled references to my favorite poets here. I hope these shrouds are cut from not too fine a cloth, but that my allusions remain opaque enough that what is always meant in good spirits may not offend. 

Please, if you have time, listen to my original music, composed for some of my posts, such as the piece above.