chapter 3

Chapter 3;

As kendara reached the field her chest was heaving and her throat was burning. Luke and his friends were already warming up. Luke was arguing with niel about what setting to use today, as ken got closer she heard liam insist, “No, we should use the physical projectiles today.” neal argued “The pointers will be better.” when kendara joined the group neal instantly stopped arguing and walked towards the targets. “He is so scared of you.” laughed liam.

“Whatever, let's get to it.”

“No problem.” replied liam with a wink. They got into position behind a black line chalked into the vibrant green grass. A red disk flew into the air and across the field. “Mine!” shouted liam as he let a jet of darkness shoot from his palm. The red disk turned black and disintegrated. Niel shouted back “Nice job, now we have one less target to use.” liem turned to look over his shoulder and winked, at maggie. Kendara sighed, she knew what this was about, and why the best player just incinerated a disk.

“You're up.” announced liam. Patting kendara on the back. Another red disc flew across the blue sky, when it was halfway ken pointed at it and a stream of jet black shadows shot from her finger, it encircled the disc, she polled and the disc changed direction flying towards the goals, but niel sent a gust of wind, trying to blow the disc back. Kendara kept pushing, but the wind was too strong, she was going to lose. But then an idea sprung. She shot a second jet of shadows, but towards niel this time, her shadows didn't hurt him, if they did she would get suspended, they encircled him and rushed passed him. She heard them, whispering. “Scared” they said. “Wants to be free.” the ghostly voice whispered. Niels wind dropped and the disk shot into their goal. But kendara wasn't worried about winning anymore. What she saw made her angry, her shadows started swerling and getting restless. “Kill?” the voices asked. But something was wrong. There was another voice, not a shadow something else, someone.

“Kendara stop.” it shrieked “Ken pleas!” it wailed.

“Stop, now!” another, stronger voice bellowed.

There was a scratching feeling on her back, something was shining into her eyes, it was the sun, and ken was lying on the training field grass. There were a group of people a few yards away. Someone was crying, they picked him up and carried him between them. Liam came upto ken and crouched down beside her. “What  happened?” he asked, shocked. His face was pale and his voice was shaky. “I, I don't know.” ken crooked, “Is he ok?”

“I think so.” liam answered as he sat down. They watched neil being carried into the school. “I think his pride is hurt more than anything else.” mused liam “Probably.” there was a long silence. “Hey, is there anything you want to tell me?” asked kendara. “What do you mean?” responded liam sweetly. “I saw something.” whispered kendara “In his mind.”

“Oh,” liam mumbled. “Probilby just a dream he had or something, dont worry about it.”

“Okay” replied ken. “We should go.” liam groaned as he got up and reached down to pull kendara up. “You know those were some pretty awesome skills, you should join the disk team” suggested liam as they made their way back to school.

As they entered the large brick archway that led into the school, liam veered left, towards the  boys dorm, “See you later,” he called over. Kendara turned right and made her way towards the girls room, after a short walk up the cobblestone steps she reached her room door, it was painted with blue, pink and purple flowers courtesy of Theo who was an art student before she joined alexander. Theo lived in the human world but when the war started her parents found out she was fae and sent her to alexander. That was two years ago and Theo still had not caught up with the rest of their class. But she was a good friend and her and ken have the brightest room in the dorm. Kendara entered the room, flung herself onto her bed and was immediately swallowed by pillows. Theo was sitting at her art desk in front of their floor to ceiling stained glass window. “That was dramatic.” she joked. “I’ve had a rough day.” moned ken. “Its only halfway over.” theo replied as she focused on her drawing once again. “A parcel came for you.” she mumbled “On your desk.” ken jumped off her bed and ran over to her desk that was opposite her bed. Kendaras’ desk was an absolute mess. Homework that was due weeks ago spewed all over the place and pens without lids were littered over the papers, but sitting amidst the mess there was a box labelled; “For kendera, from the mainland.” ken grabbed the box and tried to open it but it was taped closed “Dammit, i need cutters!” “You mean scissors?” laughed theo, as she handed ken the scissors. Two snips later kendara had the box open and was lifting a black book with silver binding out of the package. “Yes, yes, yes.” She chanted as she admired the book. “Done.” Chimed theo. She lifted up her most recent drawing. It was a butterfly on a daisy, but the wings were moving, like it was about to take off. “WOW, its amazing.” breethed kendara. “Thank you.” muttered theo. “Lets go to lunch.” theo announced and led kendara out of the room.

They left the dorms and made their way towards the mess hall. The hall was a large stone building surrounded by target fields, there was a line of students streaming into the hell and all rushing to find seats. Ken and theo found their usual seaghits and waited for lunch to be served. Maggie and her gang went passed and snicerd when they saw ken, “What’s wrong there?” asked theo. “nothing , just had an incident on the target field.”

“What kind of incident? I hope you wacked maggie or something.”
“Not exactly.”

Luke passed and stopped to talk to his sister “Hey,” he whispered. “I hope you are okay.” ken nodded. “I think you might be in big trouble, maggie and neil went to miss parry and she looked mad.” he warned. “Thanks for the heads up.” ken answerd.

Theo was really interested now, “What happened?” she demanded

“OK ok,” ken explained “We were playing disk and it was my turn so i reached out and got the disc, i started to bring it in when niel tried to blow it back, he was going to win, so i sent some shadows after him, i don't know what happened but i somehow got into his head, someone was screaming and i blacked out, then woke up 2 seconds later lying on the grass.” she let out a breath and wonderd if sho should tell theo about what happend in the hall, but thaught better of it. Theo packed up laughing, “You mean you attacked niel?” she giggled. “The school bully?” “That's too good,” she blurted.

Before ken could answer the food trays began floating down the aisles and dishing itself up. “Time to eat!” announced the head boy, who happend to be luke.

After a lunch of pizza and fries miss perry was waiting outside the food hall “Kendara, would you please come to my office.” she announced as she turned around and strode off down the hall. Kendara rushed to follow her. They wound their way through the school until eventually they reached the offices, as they entered her office ken got a flurry of butterflies. There was a boy there too, it wasn't niel, this boy had blond hair and had the body of a jock. “Sit down kendara.” miss perry said as she shuffled around her desk. kendara sat in an old chair with red cushions and golden inlays.

“Alright, let’s get to it.” miss perry said in her best uplifting voice, witch was a big letdown. “Kendara, what you did this morning was just not necessary, we allow students to make use of the sporting equipment if it’s not in use but attacking another student is just not called for, i am extremely disappointed,and i suspect the blackout we had here 15 minutes before mr niel came in was you too. If you cannot learn to control your power you will be expelled and will have to join the agicle defence unprepared. As a repercussion for your actions you will have to spend the rest of today in the zen room and tomorrow you will not be allowed to attend class, you will also have to take extra classes with jackson here.” The boy looked at kendara, where his eyes tracked over her she felt a warm sensation. Kendara turned, looked him straight in the eye and gave him her coldest stare, he just smiled and said to miss perry, “Thank you ma’am, i am looking forward to the extra classes.” he ascent was strange slightly german but like he’d spent a lot of time in america too. Kendara reached towards him with her shadows, but something bright made them flinch so she pulled them back quickly “Stop.” commanded miss perry. “You’ve already put one student in the hospital, two is unacceptable.” she scolded. “Its alright ma’am, i’d actually like to learn more about my classmate.” he eagerly replied. “Well you will tomorrow, now get out.” miss perry shouted and ushered them into the corridor then slammed the heavy oak door behind them. The boy turned towards kendara, she noticed that his eyes were the deepest blue and they shon of mistuf, “HI, my name is jackson” he said and extended his hand. “Kendara.” She said simply, reaching out with her hand too. As soon as their hands meat her shadows shrieked, jackson flinched. Kendara stepped back to put as much space as possible between them. “See you tomorrow” he said, nonchalant. “I guess so.” kendara mumbled as she walked away. The rest of the day was extremely boring, sitting in the zen room kendara tried to reach out to the strange boy, jackson was his name. But her shadows found nothing. She found jack, maggie and even niel, but this strange boy was a ghost to her.

Her forward shadows did bring her something tho, is was an image, the boy, jackson was standing in a dark place, he was crouching by another figure, light surrounded them, he was crying, “ill see you in the next world, my love.” she heard him whisper as the vision blurred. A wave of nausea hit kendara as always when she converses with a future shadow, the only person who knows about the future shadows is mr toto, and that’s only because he saw it in one of his own visions. Kendara sat in the zen room for the rest on the day trying to find out more about this vision, she got nothing. The day flew by and by the time kendara got to the dorm everyone else was asleep so she quietly got changed and jumped into her lovely, soft bed and drifted off to seep.