Part 2

"How does he know?" Atsushi let out by accident. Kyouka gave her a weird look. "Anything wrong?" asked the girl again, looking concerned and ready to pull out her trusty knife. The sound of the knife removed from its sheath was enough for Atsushi to ensure her everything was alright. She didn't want to get her involved in a potentially dangerous situation.

The next day, the ordinary atmosphere in the ADA returned. "I don't know why but Google decided to search me a suicide hotline instead," Dazai was spinning a key with the tip of his index finger. "It's ashame. I thought Google was everyone's reliable buddy to find information."

"That's because encouraging suicide is a crime, Dazai," replied Kunikida, sighing afterwards. Then, Dazai turned to Atsushi staring at the computer screen and moving the mouse. "Hey Atsushi," he said. "Are you on your period?"

"What kind of question is that?!" Atsushi's face turned red with embarrassment. "Dazai! You have no right to ask a woman about that!" snapped Kunikida, holding a rolled up newspaper to hit Dazai with. "Oh ha ha~ I read an article the other day that Indonesian teens are boiling used pads and drinking the boiled water because it functions like a drug," Dazai replied.

"Even if she has her period she wouldn't be giving any used pads to you," Junichiro joined. Atsushi felt humiliated and kept her eyes on the computer. But she still heard the dispute between Dazai and Kunikida in the background.

Once done, Dazai walked up to Atsushi. "Say we have a chit-chat in the café? Let's pick up from yesterday," he said before walking away. Atsushi couldn't protest his invitation because she was curious about her secret admirer.

• • •

Whoever her secret admirer was, it was someone Dazai knew in the flesh. She didn't dare to think about it too much. But why was Dazai taking it very seriously? Is it someone who he knew personally?
Personally
Knowing Dazai came from a criminal background, that aroused some anxious thoughts. When a girl's secret admirer is linked with criminal acts, good results never sprung from it.

"So, do you have any idea who it is?" asked Dazai, casting the same sinister smile. Atsushi didn't delve into thinking who it was and just wanted a clear answer so she can put the pieces together afterwards.

"No idea. But first," Atsushi flipped her cellphone and showed Dazai's message. "How do you know I encountered Akutagawa yesterday at the park?"

      She swore Dazai was laughing at her stupidity but she didn't care. "The answer is in my text," he replied. Atsushi rechecked Dazai's message.

"Are you okay Atsushi? I heard you met Akutagawa at the park."

"Akutagawa? He told you?" said Atsushi, feeling like punching herself. That was pretty obvious. They were subordinates in the past afterall.

"That's correct. Now, back to my question. Do you have any idea who your lover is?" said Dazai.
No
"Don't tell me-"
"Bingo~! Hard to believe, isn't it?!" Dazai exclaimed in a cheerful voice. "I'm not fond of romances but I can definitely say you two are an interesting pai
r!"

Atsushi felt like her world turned upside down. A murderer was in love with her? If this was a joke, Dazai took it too far to add Akutagawa in it. What could've possibly made him smitten with her? Atsushi couldn't even think of an answer.

"I caught up to him when he asked about you. Not to mention I sold your secret out to him that you like cherry blossoms," he explained with a gleam. "He could've been a lucky man if you just had stayed there and not run away."

"This is impossible. I don't think I have a charm to swoon others," Atsushi denied, a bitter taste forming in her mouth at the thought of her and Akutagawa together. "I don't think you have too. Surely he likes you because of something," Dazai replied. "I doubt so. Maybe this is his way to finally pounce on me and kill me," Atsushi theorised.

"I've known him longer than you do. Trust me, I was shocked when he confessed," Dazai began. "Maybe get some context to his use of profanity against you. Sometimes behind those obscene words lie a lost soul waiting for something amazing to happen.

Maybe you are that thing he is waiting for."

Atsushi had mixed emotions and something told her that the promise yesterday was broken. But she ignored them and proceeded to ask a question she feared to ask. "Where will he be?"

"I'm glad you asked," Dazai took out his phone and tapped a bit on it. "He will be at Mitsuzawa Park underneath the cherry blossoms viewing the lake at 6 pm. He says you were there yesterday when he saw you."

"Got it," Atsushi nodded as if she was on a mission.