Part 3

The delicate words from the woman repeated in Atsushi's ears.

"The cherry blossoms here have never been as beautiful."

      Then, she remembered her innocent remark that the park was romantic.  To her, she was right.  She walked down the black pavement in the park, tracking down the spot from yesterday as she recalled it was near a short flight of stairs that lead to a back entrance.

      That section of the park was devoid of people and had a beautiful cherry blossom tree.  It was perfect for private meetings like yesterday's.  Atsushi came early to watch the lake from the stone bench the woman sat on.  It reflected the shades of purple and yellow in the sky.  She had a clear view of some parts of the park, watching children play as their parents watched.

      Sounds of footsteps gained her attention as she turned her head to see a man dressed entirely black.  The usual sensation she had grew stronger as he came closer and sat beside her.  Atsushi observed that he looked exhausted.

      "Why did you arrange this meeting? You are tired!" Atsushi imagined he had to jump and kick and punch—The normal things she thought of him doing everyday.  For once, she had some sympathy and concern for him.

      "Dazai-san told you everything," Akutagawa now faced her with a stern expression.  She quickly looked away.  "Y-yes, he did-"

      Atsushi froze when she felt something warm against her hand.  She turned to see a horrific sight.  That monster was holding her hand.

      "E-eh?!" Atsushi pulled away her hand.  Akutagawa's eyes went wide with surprise.  "Impressive.  And here, I thought you would be easy to catch," he remarked.

• • •
"Ah, what a coincidence to see you here, Akutagawa-kun."

      Dazai slid into the seat facing Akutagawa.  "What are you doing here?" he asked in a harsh voice.  "I was about to ask the same!" Dazai exclaimed, looking like he was happy to see him again.  They remained silent for a bit, with Akutagawa refusing to contribute into conversation.  He didn't have anything interesting to say.

      Dazai broke the silence between them with casual talk and reminiscence of his days in Port Mafia.  It disturbed Akutagawa, but he reminded himself to be thankful for if it wasn't for Dazai he would've winded up dead.

      "How's jinko?" Akutagawa asked.  "Oh, she is alright.  Still the clumsy girl she is," Dazai chuckled.  "She's fun to play pranks on.  Such innocence~"

      "Hmm," Akutagawa took his drink from the table and drank from it as he looked out of the window waiting for Gin to arrive. He wanted to leave soon to get away from Dazai.  He didn't hate him but found him a nuisance and wasn't in the mood to engage in light conversation.

       "Akutagawa, no, please don't tell me," Dazai tried to hide a laugh but he couldn't.  "Don't tell me you like her?!"

      His laughter alerted other people in the café, which made them the centre of attention.  Dazai fell off his chair, still laughing with tears slowly forming.  "Get back on your chair damn it!" Akutagawa snapped.  The suicidal maniac wiped off his tears as he sat back on his chair with a stinky smile on his face.

      "This is very unexpecting.  I can't believe you have a soft spot for her," Dazai wanted to force another laugh, but Akutagawa swiftly closed his mouth with his hand.  "If you laugh again, I will slit your mouth so it will hurt if you do ever again," threatened Akutagawa.  "Alright Akutagawa-kun.  Tell me, what do you find interesting in that girl?"

      Akutagawa didn't have a clear answer to that.  It was as if all of a sudden he developed feelings for her.  He found himself think about her frequently.  Was it lust or genuine love? He didn't know.  Whatever it was, he didn't want to tell.

      "You don't have the right to know," he replied.  "Understandable.  I shouldn't be sticking my nose in your business," Dazai stood up and walked away.  Then he faced Akutagawa again.  "If you want, you can see her at Mitsuzawa Park tomorrow at six.  Surprise her a bit," he flashed his stupid grin before leaving.

      And so, he did.  "I agree with what the woman said.  The cherry blossoms here have never been as beautiful," he inched closer to the girl.  Then, that was when she ran.  "Damn it jinko! Why do you have to make this hard for me?!" he ran up the stairs that led to an open area.  After searching, he concluded that she was gone until, from the corner of his eye, he saw her run out through the back entrance into the street.

      He didn't chase after her though.  "So, it seems life is challenging me once more," he said.

• • •
"Jinko..."
"Yes?"
      "Tell me..." he placed his hands on her shoulders, his head facing downwards.  "Why do I feel all warm and fuzzy now seeing you?! Why does your stupid carefree attitude and innocent face make my heart skip a beat?! Answer me or else I'll kill you!"

      Atsushi could see his trembling hands, which eventually slid to her back.  They found themselves hugging each other.  She felt like she was comforting someone who had a rough day.  Maybe there was something she overlooked in him.  He was as mysterious as Dazai afterall.

      "I don't know Akutagawa.  You need to ask yourself why I make you like that," she gazed up at the pretty petals and looked at him again.  "Didn't you answer your own question?"

"What do you mean?"
"Is it because of my attitude and face that you like me?"

      They parted off from the tight hug and found themselves staring at each other for a brief moment.  Akutagawa slowly brought up his hand to Atsushi's face and clenched her cheeks.  "W-what are you doing?" she stammered.  "I'll give an answer to that," and then he kissed her.  It was really quick that Atsushi didn't realise what her lips were pressing on.

      She tried letting out noises of denial, but either Akutagawa's feelings took over her or she was shocked as she just stayed there experiencing it.  Parting away, there was a clear blush on her face.  He caressed it with his hand that clenched her face.  "My life is short like these cherry blossoms. I don't want it left to waste without you in it," his voice was surprisingly low and gentle. "Do you want to be together?"

"Of course I do," she replied, smiling.