3

When I woke up the next morning Mum was shaking my arm gently, I rolled so that I was facing away from her and she said "sweetheart? you're going to be late for school", I pulled my quilt up to my neck and said "I don't feel well mum", I felt the bed dip as she sat down and put a hand on my shoulder before saying "this has nothing to do with you trashing that computer does it?", I turned my head to look at her confused and she said "the teacher called me last night, she said that she had come back to the class room and there was a boy at her desk and you had ripped the wires from the computer, she said that you seemed alright before that", I sighed and said "no mum, that was a misunderstanding, I'm sorry, I know I should have been good", she stroked my cheek with her fingers and smiled softly before saying "okay darling, your father is in bed, he's working tonight, and I have to go to work now but I should be back to make tea", I rolled back over and she left.

I went back to sleep for a couple of hours and when I woke up my phone was ringing, I reached over to my dressing table and picked up my phone, the number was unknown and I was confused as to who could have gotten it, I pressed answer and when I put the phone to my ear and said "hello", nobody spoke back to me, "hello?" I repeated but I could only hear the persons breathing on the other end so I hung up and blocked the number. I sat up in my bed and as I brushed the hair from my face there was a knock on my bedroom door, I said "come in", and Jaimie walked in, she looked at me in my bed and said "what are you doing in bed? it's 2PM?", I shrugged and said "I'm sick", she shook her head and said "Louis came up to me in school earlier", I looked up at her and she said "he wanted to know where you were, apparently you were meant to be in detention", I pulled a confused look and said "ye, I was, but I'm sick", she sat on the edge of my bed and said "he said he wanted to speak to you about yesterday", I sighed and she said "what happened yesterday?", I shrugged and she said "tell me, right now", I laughed and said "it's really nothing, he just started reading my file on the computer. I don't know how far he got before I pulled out the wires but he knows what I was sentenced to", she sighed and said "don't worry about it Harley", I nodded and she said "right! get up! we're getting food", I shook my head and she said "come on", I sighed and she said "hey, can I borrow a dress for school tomorrow?", I nodded and said "take what you want Jaimie, I don't mind", she smiled and as she opened my wardrobe she said "are you coming to school tomorrow?", I mumbled "I don't know" and she said "can you please, I know you're in detention but I really need a ride home, dad's got a visit with the district nurse and I cant be late", I nodded and said "I'll try", she smiled and said "the whole school's talking about your party on Saturday", I laughed and said "you haven't given anyone my number have you Jaimie?", she looked back at me as she pulled out a dress and said "what? no, why would I do that?", I sighed and said "I um, somebody called me, they didn't speak, they stayed silent", she gave me a worried look and said "try not to worry Harley, I'm sure it was just a wrong number call", I nodded and she said "well, if you're not going to get your lazy ass out of bed then I'm gonna have to get back to school, I'll come round in the morning, let me know if you need anything", and then she finally left and I let out a sigh of relief.

I stood up and as I looked in the mirror I felt something crack inside of me as I read the piece of paper that I had taped to the wall beside my mirror, it read 'Everybody that you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about, be kind, always', I sighed and walked through to my bathroom, I locked the door and as I got into the shower I heard a door slam and my dad started yelling random swear words, I sighed and leaned out of the shower, I grabbed my phone and started my music playing to block out the yelling, I hummed along to the words as I washed my hair.

When I got out of the shower I wrapped myself in a towel and wiped the steam from the mirror with a face cloth, my face was pale and my hair was flattened down completely wet through. I leaned against the sink and as the song changed I heard a door slam downstairs, I opened the bathroom door and as I walked down the stairs I saw my mum crying on the couch, "mum?" I mumbled, she sighed and wiped her eyes before saying "oh, hi sweetheart, there's food in the kitchen, I have to go. I was supposed to meet a friend for coffee ten minutes ago", then she got up and rushed out of the living room, I sighed and walked through to the kitchen, I noticed a letter on the counter and as I picked it up I saw the court. I looked at it intrigued and as I read the first line I felt my heart sink, 'Dear Mr Martin, I am writing to inform you of the withdrawal of the restraining order against Mr Jason Terry Lowe' I stopped reading and ran back up the stairs to grab my phone, I dialled my dad's number and as soon as he answered he muttered "I'm busy Harley, what do you want!?", I panicked "they cant do this? they can't take away the restraining order!", he sighed and muttered "yes Harley, yes they can, you'll be fine", I punched the tile in the bathroom and as one cracked my father yelled down the phone "don't you fucking break things in my house Harley!".