13 - Dubai Championships

In a year full of changes, uncertainty, and a lot of questions, we finally have some answers. With the conclusion of the Dubai CrossFit Championships we now have our first full experience of what a CrossFit Sanctioned Event might look like, and while everyone will have their opinions about it, today let's focus on the things we learned as a result of it.

Thank you Ladies!

With only one spot on the line for a trip to the Games, it was uncertain if the level of competition would be higher or lower at these events. But oh my did the women deliver!

Heading into the final event there were four women (Sam Briggs, Jaime Greene, Karin Frey, and Sara Sigmundsdottir) within 7 points at the top of the leaderboard.

The last event was a chipper of couplets, if you will, ending with a single arm dumbbell overhead walking lunge cash out (if you could get to to it). Beginning with 4 rounds of 6 bar muscle ups and 3 heavy devil presses Sam Briggs and Jamie Greene got out to the early lead.

Continuing into 3 rounds of 15 toes to bar and 60 double unders, Sam and Jamie continued going rep for rep and were well ahead of the field.

The final couplet was 2 rounds of 30 heavy wall balls to a tall target and 5 moderately heavy power cleans. Would the wall balls slow Jaime down? Would the cleans prove troublesome for Sam? Honestly, I wasn't sure if either or both would be true.

It turned out that the wall balls were too much for Jaime. She was forced to take several breaks in the first set allowing both Sam to pull away, and also Sara Sigmundsdottir to catch up to her.

At that point for Sam it was a matter of adrenaline; pick up the dumbbell, finish these lunges, and earn yourself $30,000 for winning the event, another $50,000 for winning the competition, and become the first woman to earn an invitation to the 2019 CrossFit Games. Sam is such a fierce competitor in general, she usually doesn't need any motivation to dig deep; but with all of that on the line, especially coming off of a season riddled with injury and surgery, there was no doubt that she would finish this event (she was the only woman to do so), and stand atop the podium as the champion of the 2018 Dubai CrossFit Championship!

Congratulations Samantha Briggs! Both an impressive and inspiring performance.

And thank you to Jaime Greene, Sara Sigmundsdottir, Karin Frey, and all the other incredible women who competed at Dubai. Once again the women's competition was extremely entertaining, right up to the very end.

If you enjoyed watching these women there's good news. We've already seen several of them commit to more sanctioned events in the near future. Sam will be in Australia in January, Jamie will be in London for Strength in Depth at the end of February (she'll also be on a team at Wodapalooza in January), and Sara will be competing as an individual at Wodapalooza. The women's field is strong and competitive, Dubai has reminded us once again of the excitement it offers, and will continue to offer as the season goes on.

 The women's field is strong and competitive, Dubai has reminded us once again of the excitement it offers, and will continue to offer as the season goes on