three: how to be kind

chapter three: "how to be kind"
word count: 5501
warnings: bigotry, harassment

a/n: once again, inspired
by something i saw on tumblr

"I do hope someone will ask me," Marcelina said, picking at her breakfast. She pushed around the scrambled eggs on her plate, scooping them up, then letting them drop back onto the porcelain surface. "Is it too late to hope that?" she asked, turning to me.

I shook my head, giving her a smile as I set down the piece of toast I had in my hand. "I don't think so," I answered truthfully.

"Do you think someone will ask me then?"

"Maybe," I replied, "you've got all day to find out."

Kimberly rolled her eyes at my answer. "Helga, don't give her such false hope, [Y/N]," she said, causing Marcelina to frown. "The Hogsmeade trip is tomorrow."

Marcelina furrowed her eyebrows. "So?"

"If someone was going to ask you, Marcy, then they would've already," Kimberly elaborated. "No one's going to ask you the day before."

"Not necessarily," I disagreed, placing a comforting hand on Marcelina's shoulder, while shooting Kimberly an annoyed glare. "Maybe someone's still working up the courage to ask. Not everyone is a Gryffindor."

Brent, who had seemed mildly disinterested in our conversation until this point, laughed nervously, "Yeah," he said, "You girls don't understand the struggle of having to be the ones to ask."

"A girl can be the one to ask someone else to Hogsmeade," I commented, making the boy shrug.

"You're right," he agreed after a moment of pondering my statement. "It's just not as common. Maybe you should ask someone, Marcy, if you really want a date."

I hid my smile as I could tell Brent was trying to hint to Marcelina. He was not a very courageous person at all; that was one of the reasons why he was a Hufflepuff, not a Gryffindor.

Brent deflated as Marcelina cried, "No! Why would I do that? I don't want to make a fool of myself! I'd look so desperate!"

"You're sounding desperate no matter what," Kimberly scoffed, making Marcelina huff and cross her arms across the table, leaning her head on them.

"Stop it," I muttered to Kimberly, low enough that the other girl couldn't hear.

"Whatever," she mumbled.

I turned my attention back to Marcelina, who was staring at the empty seat beside her. "Marcy," I started quietly with a small smile, "wouldn't you rather go to Hogsmeade with your friends than someone who asked you as a last minute thought a day before the trip?"

"I suppose," the girl answered in a saddened tone, sitting up and placing her hands in her lap.

"Hey," I wrapped an arm around her, hugging her close, "it's the first trip of fifth year tomorrow," I reminded her. "There's still plenty more. I'm sure you'll get asked to one."

I was so focused on comforting Marcelina, I almost — almost — didn't notice when Newt Scamander stood across from me at the Hufflepuff table. He slowly sat down, seeming unsure if we were going to let him join us, but a welcoming smile from me appeared to ease his nerves.