six: iris*

chapter six: "iris"
word count: 7528
warnings: slight abuse
song: "iris" by the goo goo dolls

a/n: okay so i kinda stereotype slytherins in this
and i'm sorry i promise i don't actually believe this
also, i'm pretending that theseus is only
like three years older than newt in this one
ok thanks

And I'd give up forever to touch you, 'cause I know that you feel me somehow

I watched as the number of students standing outside the train got smaller and smaller, and my dread got larger and larger. With each student that climbed aboard, meant one second we were closer to leaving Hogwarts for the summer. And I didn't want to leave.

Leaning my head against the window, a tear slipped from my cheek. I couldn't do this; I couldn't. I was scared. Scared of what would happen when we arrived at the station. All I saw was pain, hurt, disappointment, possibly even death.

I could imagine everything going black, and I'd never wake up again. And it would be my fault. I should've done something different. I should've been someone different. And yet, I wasn't. I didn't try hard enough, and I was going to face the consequences.

It had surprised everyone when it happened. One word changed my life. I remember freezing up in shock, in fear. I remember thinking This can't be happening. This can't be happening! Not to me, please not to me! That one word changed my life, for the worse.

And no one had even thought about what would happen to me. Not the headmaster, not any professor, and certainly not any student. Half of the school hated me, and I hated myself too. I didn't ask for this, so why was I being cursed like this.

But then I received a surprise I didn't ask for. And didn't want.

"Can I join you?" a voice asked, startling me out of my thoughts. A boy, who looked slightly familiar —but I wasn't sure — stood in the entryway of the compartment, rubbing his arm nervously. He had already changed from his robes, and he let out a sigh, "or, I mean, may I, or, never mind."

He started to turn and walk away, but I managed to choke out, "Wait." He turned his head back towards me, and I continued, as I began to feel bad for the poor boy, "You can, yeah."

A small smile graced his mouth as he stepped into the compartment, sliding the door shut behind him. I tried to rub away the tears that had slipped out of my eyes while I'd been alone, hoping he wouldn't notice my blotchy cheeks and red eyes.

"Sorry. There weren't any other open seats." He sat awkwardly across from me, shifting around, before saying, "I'm Newt. Scamander. Newt Scamander."

"I'm [Y/N]," I answered to be polite.

"I know."

My face contorted, and he frantically tried to amend his, frankly, creepy statement. "I mean, we're in the same house."

"Oh," I said. "I didn't know."

Shrugging, he sat on top of his hands, glancing out the window. I followed his eyes and saw that there were no more students outside, and my stomach dropped. It was all happening too soon.

I let out a shaky breath as the train rumbled under us, starting to move slowly as it exited the platform. As we got further away from the castle, the faster the train got, and the more scared I got.