five: three things

chapter five: "three things"
word count: 4757
warnings: fluff

a/n: this is my apology for
the last imagine

First Year

"Everything is gonna be okay, Newt" I told the boy beside me as we walked into the Great Hall of Hogwarts for the first time. "I'll be right here the whole time." I squeezed his hand, hoping to calm him down.

I had known Newt my entire life. Our fathers had been friends when they were at Hogwarts, so the two of us were forced to be friends almost, especially since we were born only a few days apart. I knew him like the back of my hand. And I knew that he would probably pass out the minute his name was called.

And as we walked closer to the front, that feeling grew stronger and stronger. The poor boy was shaking with nerves. I was scared too, but I didn't want to tell him that. So, I just put on a calm demeanor and held my head up high.

I caught eyes with my older brother, sitting with his house. He winked at me, giving me a thumbs up from the Slytherin table. I smiled as best I could, trying to seem confident for him. I recognized some of his fifth-year friends beside him, and they sent me friendly smiles, recognizing me as well.

"Oh, [Y/N], I don't think I can do this," Newt said from my side. While I had my brother for support as I walked through, his brother had graduated years before him.

I searched for something that might calm him down, and immediately, I thought of the game we'd always play when we needed something to drown out the quiet. I was sure it'd work now too.

"Newt, name three things that calm you down," I whispered, smirking to myself.

We made this game up one day when we were playing outside of my house a few years back. He randomly asked me to name three things that would make the day better, and told me I had to answer. So, now, whenever we tell the other to name three things, they have to answer, no matter what.

He sighed, giving me a side-eye, but we both knew that would work. "Um, magical creatures," he started with the thing I knew he would say, "a glass of water, and listening to the bugs outside my window at night."

Those were such Newt answers, and it made me happy to see that he had visually relaxed. "See, it doesn't seem so bad now, right? When you go up there, just imagine you're listening to the bugs outside the window," I told him as we finally stopped near the front.

He shook his head, giving me a small smile. "Thanks, [Y/N]."

One of the professors began calling the new students forward to be sorted by the Sorting Hat. There were a few of each house before "Newton Scamander" was called.

Newt gulped beside me but took a deep breath, walking towards the wooden chair situated in the middle where everyone could see. He sat down, and he was acting as brave as he could, and I admired that.

The professor placed the hat on his head, not taking very long to say, "Hufflepuff!" It was followed by loud applause from that table along with polite applause from the rest of the houses.

I saw Newt sigh in relief, probably thankful that it was over, and he stood up and sat down at his new house's table. He locked eyes with me and I subtly gave him our signal we decided on whenever we overcame something we were afraid of: a small scratch to the side of our mouth with three fingers.