Four

Cardan

There was a soft knock on my door. I quickly finished buttoning up my shirt and walked over to open it.

I dismissed the servants for the morning so I could have some quiet time to think and plan. But the unfortunate thing about that is I have to do things for myself.

"Good morning, Your Majesty." The Roach says, and slightly bows his head.

I can't help but smirk at him, and step aside to let him in. "Since when are you concerned with formalities?" I ask. He ignores me and I close the door behind him.

"Well? Any news?" I cross my arms and wait for him to answer.

He spins around and looks me in the eye.

"I might have something, but don't get too excited, because I don't think it's anything near what we were expecting of her by this point."

"Alright, I'm listening." I don't exactly know what I'm expecting to hear, but my nerves are trying to get the best of me.

"Snapdragon tells me something's lit a fire under her ass all of a sudden. It seems she's snapped out of her daze finally, and has been asking questions."

"Oh. I see." I walk over to the window and look out onto the grounds. I'm bracing myself for whatever news I'm not ready for. "What sort of questions?"

I hear him clear his throat behind me. "Like I said, don't get too excited, because it's nothing. She's just started to wonder if she'll ever make it back to faerie."

Hearing this warms my heart, however simple the turn of events may be.

After enduring a month of Jude's absence, I'd been sending The Roach and Snapdragon into the mortal world every week to keep an eye on her. I couldn't have my Queen getting into too much trouble, and honestly beyond that noble reason, I wanted to see how much trouble I'd be in when we saw each other again.

Every week since then the reports were nearly identical: Jude is not herself, but a sad and empty shell of the once fierce and determined person she once was.

It nearly gutted me to hear that report week after week. But to have The Roach here now, telling me she wants to come back, gives me the smallest ember of hope that she hasn't completely lost herself.

I turn around to look at him, and I'm surprised to see disappointment and sternness on his face. It's even a little amusing.

"Oh come on, this is definitely good news." I say.

The look on his face tells me he isn't as amused as I am, and I'm sure there's a lot he'd unload on me if I wasn't the High King.

"Do I need to remind you how quickly Jude's mind works?"

"No. Of course not. It's just that—"

"Yes it's true that she's been wallowing for far longer than we thought she would. However, today she may be wondering if I'll ever let her come back, but tomorrow she'll have figured out how to come back. You see?" He doesn't appreciate my tone, but I can see that the point has been made, and he relaxes a bit.

The Roach stares at me for a long moment and taps a finger on his chin. "So where do we go from here?" He asks.

I walk over to the small table in the center of the room and pour myself a glass of water. "We go on as planned, and wait to see what she does." I take a sip of water, and I can see his mind working on something. "What is it?" I ask him.

He straightens his tunic and shrugs. "It's nothing. I just want to speak to Snapdragon and The Bomb before the next excursion."

I nod and he sees himself out.
There's another knock on my door, and The Roach is back, peeking his head in. "Prepare yourself. Nicasia is looking for you in the throne room." He says, and then he's gone again.

I groan and set my water glass back down on the table, then head out the door. What does she want now?

——————

"Are you even listening to me?" Nicasia all but screams at me, and my attention slowly drifts back to her angry face.

"Nicasia." I warn. "Just because your mother is threatening all-out war every Friday does not mean you can do whatever you want around here, or continue to speak to me the way you have been."

She folds her arms and rolls her eyes at me. "Like I even want to be here. "

"Then why are you still here?" I ask her, and I'm genuinely curious about what she'll say. But instead she stares at me with fury in her eyes, then turns around and storms out, her blue-green hair and purple gown flowing behind her. I already know Orlagh will disown her if she doesn't try her hardest to seduce me into marrying her, but it's a lot more fun to see her so uncomfortable.

I shift in my seat and take in the silence of the throne room. Since Jude left and Orlagh threw a fit that I didn't turn her over to the Undersea, it's been eerily quiet at the palace. I like to think I frightened Orlagh back into her hole in the sea after I made an entire island appear out of nowhere, a fact that amuses me often.

In a fit of rage not too long ago, Nicasia let it slip how much she tortured Jude during her capture all those months ago, and how she wished she had done more. Of course, she was only raging at me because I kicked her out of my bed after she snuck in during the night. Though, since that confession, I can hardly stand to look at her, and I'm positive her humiliation at being dismissed is the reason she's so prickly toward me now.

My thoughts wander back to Jude, and I can't help but wonder what she's doing right now, trapped as she is, no doubt hating me more than ever. But I find myself wanting to see her in this new-found determination to come back home. Though she may hate me, in time she'll see this was necessary and will forgive me. She has to.

Out of habit I wiggle my fingers to play with my ruby ring, but I'm reminded again that I gave it back to Jude—after I stole it from her in the first place. I stare at my naked finger and wonder what she's done with it. Has she destroyed it? Did she keep it? Does it mean anything to her? Maybe she even wears it.

A low laugh escapes my mouth unintentionally. Nice try. There's no hope in this world that she wears it.

Movement up ahead beyond the doors catches my attention, driving my thoughts of Jude away.

Moments later I see The Bomb approach. She wears a smile on her face as she steps forward, bowing quickly.

I immediately feel the absence of my once always-present Seneschal. It's an odd feeling to admit I almost miss her in that capacity, but I can't get distracted thinking about what that means.

"May I have a word, Your Majesty?" We both look around for eavesdroppers.

I nod and she steps up next to the throne.
"I think I may have an idea of what to do about our—situation."

The situation being how and when to bring Jude back to Faerie without everything falling apart.

I eagerly straighten in my seat and lean in. "Tell me."

A smile spreads across her face, then she lets me in on her plan.

—————-
Please don't hate me for how short this chapter is! Just know the next one is going to be posted very soon. I'm almost done writing it, and I think you'll love what happens next!

Also, I've been listening to music while I've been writing these chapters, and I'm thinking of posting the songs or playlists at the end of each chapter. Let me know if you want to see that.

Thanks for reading! Love to you all.