Eight

Cardan

I fall backward onto Jude's bed and stare up at the ceiling. If I didn't know I was in the mortal world already, this would be the strangest dream I've ever had.

The events of the day so far have surprised me, and seeing Jude again has made me realize a handful of things. The first being how hard it is not to touch her all the damn time. Second, it is far too easy to flirt with her, even though it seems she hates me and therefore doesn't trust me. And finally, how hard it will be to leave.

I close my eyes and breathe in deep. Her sheets smell like her, and I want to hold onto the memory of her scent for as long as I can.

A noise from the bathroom startles me, and I realize she's turned on the water.

I reach over and pull one of her pillows behind my head. Then I toss it and tuck my hands behind my head instead.

I'm restless, and have to do something. So I sit up and look around the small room. She has a tall chest of drawers beside her window, and a desk along the adjacent wall. A notebook and pen, and a pile of darts occupy her desk top. Darts, Jude?

Jude's bed occupies the wall opposite her desk, near the front of the room, and her closet is just a couple feet away.

I look over and something shiny on her bedside table catches my eye, and I'm surprised to see my ring lying there. I reach over and pick it up, turning it over in my hand.

I fondly remember the day I stole this right off Jude's slender finger. She didn't even realize I'd taken it. And yet, I'm sure she eventually did notice it was missing, but still she said nothing.

I've learned a lot of things in the time I've known her. She'd no doubt be horrified to know what other things I've learned and become quite good at in the time we've been apart from each other these last few months.

Maybe she'd be impressed, even. I realize I could test that theory right now and see how it goes.

I place the ring back in the exact spot I'd taken it from and get up to look around.

I never said I wouldn't snoop, but perhaps this once I can do as she says. Besides, if I'm going to get into trouble, I'd rather get into it a much different way.

I get up from the bed and walk over to the door. I open it carefully and can still hear the water running in the room directly across the hall.

I move to that door and listen carefully, but all I hear is water splashing around, and— is she singing? No, just humming. The song sounds like one of the popular ones from the many revels we've attended together.

I put my hand so very gently on the brass doorknob and give it a slight turn. It's unlocked. I twist it the rest of the way and push open the door.

I can already feel the steam from the shower against my skin.

I slip inside quickly and close the door behind me without making a sound.

The steam in the room is thick, but after a few moments I can see clearly.

I am surprised to see Jude's face behind the shower curtain. It's a solid sky blue color, and the top section is clear, so I can see her from the shoulders up. I can just barely see a pale line against her golden skin from when she's been out in the sun. Most likely from warmer days while she's been running.