Chapter 6

It was the night of Yaz and Ryan's date and as promised the doctor had parked the Tardis outside the restaurant she had picked. She debated letting Ryan know where it was and then heading to bed or the library so she didn't have to face Yaz, but she thought it would be better to stick around just in case they needed her.

Ryan was first to appear, dressed in jeans, a shirt and a smart blazer.

"What do ya think?" he said opening his blazer and turning on the sport, smirking at the doctor.

"Very smart" she smiled at him "You nervous?"

"Can you tell?" he looked worried.

"No, I just figured, it being a first date and all"

"Oh, yeah, I just want it to go well you know" he explained. The doctor nodded.

"What if it goes wrong?" he continued nervously "What if we haven't got a connection after all?"

"It's a first date, Ryan. First dates are to figure out all that, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out and you go back to being friends" the doctor tried to reassure him without grinning at the possibility that it may not actually work out.

"Wow"

The doctor was brought out of her thoughts when she heard Ryan, turning to see what he was staring at she saw Yaz. She was dressed in a short black lacey dress that flared slightly at the bottom, it hugged her figure beautifully. She had let her hair stay naturally curly and it sat perfectly on her shoulders. She really did look beautiful, the doctor thought, she was about to tell her this but was beat by Ryan, thankfully reminding her that it was not her place anymore.

"You look beautiful" Ryan said walking towards her.

"Thank you" she grinned at him "not so bad yourself"

"Ready?" he held out his arm for her and she walked towards him and took it. The doctor watched as they walked out the door and heard Ryan shouting "Don't wait up" before the doors slammed.

The doctor stayed in the console room busying herself with some repairs she was supposed to do a while back, she convinced herself she wasn't waiting for them to return just being cautious.

The Tardis whirred at her loudly.

"I'm just making sure I'm here if they need me, they are on an alien planet after all" she looked up at the ceiling.

There was another buzzing noise slightly louder.

"I am not hoping it goes wrong" she shouts angrily, "anyway I can't do anything even if it does go wrong, I pushed her away"

Then there's a low hum.

"I know" she muttered, "She wants Ryan now though, I can't ruin that by giving her false hope."

She ignored the Tardis's protest while she worked, trying to take her mind off everything.

It had been about three hours since the two had left for their date, which must mean it was going well, the doctor thought. She w'as just coming back from grabbing a few of her tools when she heard the Tardis doors open and the pair stumbled in giggling, clearly, they'd had a drink. The doctor hung back trying not to be seen, but unable to draw herself away. She couldn't really hear what they were saying but they sounded happy.

They seemed to be talking for a bit, not moving away from the entrance of the Tardis. The doctor noticed they were standing very close, Ryan touching Yaz's arm or shoulder every now and then. Then she watched as Ryan but his hand under her chin and lifted it up, she watched as he leaned in and she watched as they kissed. She couldn't take it anymore, she couldn't take watching Ryan kiss the woman she was in love with and she turned around quietly retreating back to her room as the tears fell down her face.