Checking In

Helen laughed as Nancy turned the corner. The two were spending a day together as Nancy ran a few errands for her father.

"Did Togo really do that?" said Helen as she finally calmed down her giggles, somewhat.

Nancy was chuckling as she replied, "Oh, yes! You should have seen Hannah's face! She was furious, and rightfully so! I mean, she had just finished mopping when Togo dragged in all that mud!" She paused as she let out another laugh. "But man, oh man, Togo was such a ham! I swear he seemed to stick up his nose at Hannah as she fussed at him!" The two teens burst into laughter again.

"My word, Togo must keep you three on your toes!"

"Oh, you have no idea," said Nancy as she pushed on the brakes, bringing the car to a stop at a red light. "Hannah says he's almost like a toddler at the rate he's going. Hopefully by the time he's two he has matured enough that we don't have to worry about this anymore." The titian-haired girl let out a chuckle. "Though it definitely is good for a good laugh." The light turned green and Nancy returned her foot to the accelerator.

Helen chuckled. "I bet. Who knew such a little dog could have such a big personality?"

Nancy merely grinned. "Well, what did you expect from a Scottish terrier? But you have to admit, he does learn from the best."

"You mean you?" said Helen, a mischievous sparkle in her brown eyes.

Nancy shot her brunette friend a look out of the corner of her eye before quickling returning her attention to the road. But the sparkle in her blue eyes seemed to say Helen hit the nail on the head. "Possibly."

Helen snorted. "Possibly? Really Nancy? He gets the majority of his sass from you! I'm always hearing about Hannah saying that Togo was just like you when you were younger! Of course I can't compare because I haven't spent as much time with Togo as I have with you."

Nancy laughed. "Guess Togo has some growing up to do."

Helen snorted. "And you have to help him mature."

Nancy scoffed. "Yeah, yeah. Hannah seemed to do just fine with me."

"Uh-huh, sure. I'm sure she wouldn't mind the extra help."

"Oh don't worry, I don't leave her all the time without help. I just couldn't yesterday because I was laughing so hard."

Helen chuckled. "After what you told me, I don't blame you. But think of it this way, it'll be good practice for when you get married to a certain pen pal and have kids of your own." She winked.

"Ugh, Helen!" Nancy blushed.

Helen giggled. "Sorry, Nan, but like George said, it's too easy. And you had to get Bess caught up in it too."

Nancy grinned at that. "Not my fault he's got a cute brother."

"But it is your fault that your friend is such a flirt."

"Hey, Bess is just as much as your friend as she is mine."

Helen laughed. "I know, I know. Too bad George isn't here, she'd have something else to say about Bess."

"That she would."

"Lucky them, getting to go the the beach this summer." Helen glanced out the window with a dreamy sigh. "Must be quite a few handsome guys there this time of year."

Nancy laughed. "Oh I'm sure Bess will tell us all about it. George will just tell us about the waves."

Helen chuckled, then let out a gasp. "Lilac Inn!" The quaint bed-and-breakfast came into view . Two tall lilac trees stood at either end of the building while rows of bushes and flowers lined the front of the building.