Emily's Mystery

"Wait, she said that?" Joe asked incredulously.

"Yes!" blurted Nancy, a hint of panic to her voice. She had called the Hardys immediately after supper and told them about the whole day, even the part with Deirdre, knowing they would understand with the unwanted rivalry between them and the Mason brothers. "And I know I've told everyone that I like solving a good mystery, but, now that I have one, I'm, I'm not sure."

"What's this I hear?" came Frank's calming voice over the line. "Nancy Drew unsure that she can solve a mystery?"

"Yes Frank, I'm unsure. I don't have the advantage of having a detective for a father."

"That hasn't stopped you before."

Nancy pursed her lips, knowing what he meant. Despite her mother's death, Nancy had solved a few of what they termed as mere schoolyard mysteries. Nothing as big as finding a stolen treasure and dealing with real criminals. "Well, yeah, but . . ."

"Nance, you don't even know the particulars of the case!" blurted Joe.

"Listen, Nance, should I get my dad? You know he'll just tell you that you have a mind that could rival ours and his again."

Nancy chuckled, Fenton Hardy definitely would. "You're right. I don't know what I was thinking."

"I think I can take a guess," said Frank. "Deirdre always throws you off. You're going to have to learn how to deal with that."

"Like you guys and the Masons?"

Frank sighed. "Worse."

"What?" said Joe. Nancy bit her lip, she understood what he was trying to say.

"Joe, she has the added problem of Deirdre rubbing in her face that Mrs. Shannon is still alive . . ."

"Oh, yeah, I forgot about that."

"Well, any tips?"

"Besides the already several attempts at ignoring her?" said Joe.

"You haven't tried a competition yet, have you?"

"No, there hasn't exactly been one that wouldn't require a, well, a mother's assistance or involves a mother's attention."

"Yeah, well, now that you're older, finding a competition that would suit you will be much easier."

"Yeah, well, right now with Emily's situation, I don't think it's a feasible idea. It is summer after all, and they might, hopefully, leave for the beach, or something."

"But are you really going to take that chance?"

Nancy sighed. "It's one I'm going to have to take. Right now Emily needs me, and I'm not going to let her down."

"Good, keep that in mind and you'll do wonderfully."

Nancy blushed. "Oh, uh, thanks Frank."

"No problem."

"Now hurry up and get to bed so you can start on your mystery tomorrow!" said Joe, followed by a whoop.

Nancy laughed. "Alright, alright, I'm going. Good night, and thanks for everything."

"No problem. That's what friends are for."

"Oh good grief, we're going to be here all night. Good night!" Joe hung up the phone as Nancy burst out laughing. She hung up her phone and went to bed, now more eager than ever to find out exactly what Emily's mystery was.

Nancy's alarm woke her up at six o'clock sharp. She rubbed her eyes as she tried to hit the snooze button. She eventually succeeded in turning off the alarm and nearly dropping her phone on poor Togo in the process. She did end up hitting him with her arm. He yelped and eyed her before snuggling back into his bed.