A Surprise Clue

The impostor took off running into the forest. Nancy was surprised, and didn't follow immediately. The next moment, she was taking off after her adversary. But that moment's hesitation was all the impostor needed and disappeared into the forest. Nancy tried to pick up her trail, but there was nothing to find. Feeling a little disappointed, Nancy returned to her car and practically ripped off the wig in frustration. She almost had the culprit! She hit the steering wheel and let out a breath. Well, there will be a next time, and next time Nancy will be well prepared to catch her adversary. After taking a few breaths to calm herself down, Nancy started up the car, and went home. She went back into the house the way she left, managed to change into her pajamas in the dark, and crawled back into bed. She fell asleep almost as soon as her head hit the pillow, but not without thinking first that she definitely had to get a costume and come up with a better plan to catch the impostor. One more thought hit her right before her eyes gave way to sleep, trying to catch the impostor without anyone else knowing where she was and without back-up was pretty stupid. She needed to work on that.

The next morning, Nancy was up around nine, surprised that Hannah hadn't come to get her yet as breakfast was served at eight in the summer. Nancy let out a yawn before getting out of bed, put on her robe, and walked downstairs. Her father and Hannah had apparently just finished eating breakfast.

"Good morning," said Nancy with a yawn.

"Good morning," said Hannah.

Carson put down his coffee. "How was your little excursion last night?"

Nancy was about to pull out a chair, but she paused and glanced at her father in surprise. He merely took a sip of his coffee. "You, you know?"

"Wasn't hard, you weren't exactly that quiet," said Carson, shooting her a look.

Nancy sighed as she sat down. "I know, I know, it was stupid of me, and reckless. I should have told you. I really don't know why I didn't. I'm sorry."

It was Carson's turn to be surprised. "What's this I hear? Is it possible my daughter is growing up?"

Nancy shot him an annoyed look. "Dad, I've been growing up."

He smiled. "I know, but this is the first time I've heard you admit something was reckless and stupid on your own."

Nancy winced. "Am I being called off the case?"

Carson shook his head. "Absolutely not, you've already made some good progress, why stop now? No, I was trying to decide if talking with the Hardys would be a punishment, though I guess considering them as your babysitters definitely would be."

Nancy gasped. "My babysitters? Dad!"

Carson chuckled slightly. "That's what I thought. You are a very independent-minded and strong-willed young woman, which is a good thing, provided you make the right decisions. I do appreciate that you understand what you did last night was reckless and stupid, so . . . we'll call this strike one. Get to strike three, and I will ground you after you've solved this mystery, understand?"

Nancy bobbed her head vigorously. "Perfectly."

"Good, now, what did you find out last night?"

Nancy told them everything that happened while she served herself breakfast.

Hannah gasped. "Someone's impersonating you?"

Carson's eyebrows furrowed. "An uncanny likeness of you?"

Nancy nodded. "Yes."

"This has to be reported to McGinnis immediately."

"I'll call him after breakfast."