Chapter 10: Waiting

Aria called Joshua's friends and now we all sat in the waiting room. The doctors wouldn't tell us much because we weren't family. But Joshua doesn't have family.

"Man, we been here for hours." Mateo rubbed his head, his foot thumping against the ground. He stood and walked to the nurse's station.

"Hey, can I get the status of Joshua Manfred? Like, can we see him yet?"

"Are you family?" The woman asked, not looking up.

"We the closest thing he got. Does that count?"

She looked up at him, then us, and sighed. "I'll see what I can find out for you."

Mateo sat back down and his foot began its rhythmic drum against the floor. More minutes passed.

"Are you all here for Joshua?"

We stood as a group, crowding around the man in the white coat. "He's out of surgery and awake. You can see him one or two at a time." He glanced at each of us waiting for us to decide who should go. Everyone was looking at me.

"Are you guys sure? I mean, you've known him longer-"

"Maggie, just go." Juanita said, pushing me gently.

 I gave them a small smile and followed the doctor to Joshua's room.

The door was open, so I knocked on the door frame before I entered. "Joshua?"

"Maggie."His voice sounded sad. I thought about leaving. He probably doesn't want to see me. "Maggie, I'm sorry."

I took a deep breath and walked into the room. "Why? Why did you attack him?"

"He's not good, Maggie. He's from a part of my life I was hoping I could leave behind."

"You've been a real jerk lately." I say, but honestly, I'm just glad to see he is okay. Tears start running down my face as I inch closer to his bed. He reached up and took my hand.

"I know. I'm sorry. I wish I could tell you everything, explain it to you, but there is part of my life that, well, it's just better if you don't know."

"Why? Why can't you?"

"I just, I can't, Maggie. Please don't ask me to."

"I don't like secrets, but I'll let you have this one if you promise to tell me someday. You can't keep it forever, especially if it is going to get you hurt."

"I'm more worried about you getting hurt. The more you know the more likely that is to happen."

"If I might get hurt, don't you think I should be prepared for what's coming? Who is Nicolas? What is going on between you?"

"Maggie, I can't..."

I turn my back on him and walk out of the room. In my head, I know he's trying to protect me but it is hard to believe when I don't know what he's trying to protect me from. Especially when Nicolas has been a perfect gentleman to me.

I walk past the others on my way out and Aria runs up to me.

"Maggie, what's wrong?"

"I don't know Aria. I-I just need some time to think."

"I'll take you home."

Wednesday. I can't focus on any of my morning classes. Aria and I didn't get back home until after midnight and I had a lot to think about. Mom offered to let me skip today, to take me back to the hospital to visit Joshua but I don't have anything more to say to him right now. He's been acting so weird lately, and then just attacking Nicolas...