One. | Intro.

Full moon.

Nyla stood on the covered porch and watched the boys in the moonlight. A slight smile tugged at her lips as they circled around him. The leader. He'd run the pack someday.

His head was thrown back and she could almost hear the laughter coming from him. He had her heart already. He always had. But she feared it wouldn't be enough. Feared she wouldn't be enough.

One and a half more years, she thought to herself. Until they came of age, and they could truly be together. He'd already told her he wanted to. That he wanted her as his Omega. He'd held her hand out by the lake and promised to protect her.

Waiting was the hardest part.

She knew things would change. He'd come of age before her, six months. And she'd have to wait. Silently pray that he wouldn't be promised to another. That he could finally, truly claim her.

But he was the most desired, wasn't he? First born. His father, Jim, was the current leader of the pack. He had high hopes for James. That he'd be twice the man that he was. That he'd find a good Omega. Settle down. Breed more strong Alphas.

And that was all Nyla knew. How to be a dutiful Omega. She dreamt about it sometimes, what life was like outside their sleepy little town. Big cites, loud noises. Something...different. And she secretly desired it.

But she loved James. And the idea of leaving him behind was almost too much to bear. Knowing he'd never follow her because his responsibilities were here. And once he'd changed...

...well, that would change everything.