Two.

"Gonna just stand there all night or are you gonna come down here?," he asked, that cheeky grin on his face. He stood stoic in the front yard, his hands outstretched and Nyla couldn't help but smile in return.

"You know Mama will have my tail, Jamey," she replied, shaking her head, but she knew he'd break her. She couldn't say no to him.

"I'll be a perfect gentleman," he said, now walking up the steps. He pulled her close once he reached her and placed a soft kiss on the top of her head. "I missed you, Ny."

She sighed softly, leaning against him. She knew she'd get in trouble, smelling like the young Alpha. But she was really past the point of caring and willing to take the punishment if it meant five minutes alone.

"I'm gonna ask him," he told her and she looked up at him, her eyes wide. "Really?," she breathed and he nodded. "I was gonna tonight but he went off with the other leaders," he shrugged, "but I figured it was time."

They'd been discussing it for awhile, officially courting. Truth was, they'd loved each other for as long as they could remember. Napping together as toddlers in the big house. He'd kissed her for the first time on the very porch they were standing on.

Of course they'd taken a punishment for it. But they both secretly agreed it had been worth it.

Courting was a big step. The one that eventually led up to bonding. But he knew in his heart that he was ready. She was already his in his mind. And she'd always been his. He loved her.

"I'll ask 'em when they get back," he said and she nodded, pulling away when she heard the opening of the door, her harassed-looking mother watching them closely. "Hey, Missus H," he grinned, turning on the charm.

"James Barnes," she sighed, her hands on her hips.

Truth was, her mother loved James. Thought he was the perfect Alpha for Nyla. Their families ruled Great Wolf, so it only seemed natural that they'd end up mated. But she also worried about her daughter, still young, ending up with a broken heart.

"What are ya planning?," she asked carefully and Nyla blushed, looking at her feet. "Thought we'd go down to the lake if that's okay," he told her, more confidently than Nyla could have managed.

"You make sure her father knows," Jane Hill told him and he chewed his lip a bit. "They went off," he explained, "the pack. It's a full moon so they're up at the Point."

She nodded a bit, admittedly worried about the two of them being alone. Nyla was always careful, responsible. But they were getting older, nearing their coming of age. She knew it wouldn't be long until he had his first rut. And rules were in place for a reason.

"I'll be careful Mama," Nyla said softly, meeting her mother's eye. "I promise."

Jane sighed, reluctantly, but nodded. She knew if she didn't let them, they'd certainly find more reckless ways to see each other. She'd been that young once, she'd certainly remembered the thrill of sneaking off to the lake or behind the big house. Or even to the Point.

"Be home before ten," she told them, watching as they both grinned and ran off toward the water.

He spun her around once they'd reached the lake and she threw her head back, laughing loudly. She loved these moments, the unsupervised ones. It made her feel free, like she had some control over her life. She wondered what it would be like once she was of age and bonded.

She hoped it would be just like this.

"You're beautiful," he sighed, his lips pressed against her ear, his arms around her waist and she felt like she'd melt. "So, so beautiful, little Omega. I can't wait...one more year."

"Year and a half," she reminded him and he frowned a bit. Yes, that extra six months. He secretly worried about it. He knew much could change in six months and he feared his father wouldn't allow him to wait for the Omega he loved.

But he didn't want to think about that right then.

No, she was his. He was hers. That's how it was meant to be. And he'd change the damn rules when he became leader if he had to. Whatever it took to have his Omega.

"Let's take a walk," he whispered and she nodded, intertwining her fingers with his. He made her heart race a little faster every time he held her hand.

This is what it's supposed to feel like, he thought to himself. Alphas and Omegas. Bonded, mated. In love. He dreamt about it. Making her his completely. Her belly round with his pups. The two of them taking the trip up to the Point together. All of it.

It should have been so easy. All laid out for them since birth. They were meant for each other...

...right?