chapter 4

Through out the day people just started at me strangely but otherwise the day was uneventful and boring.

I had said bye to Rose and was walking down the halls humming Hallelujah by Panic! At the Disco. There was no other sound except for the patter of Max's paws.

We arrived home to see my dad rushing around frantically trying to set the table and cook simultaneously; let's just say it wasn't going very well.

"Dad, what the hell are you doing?"
I ask while removing Max's lead and harness.
"Well, uhhhh, remember the new lady I sorta told you about?" He replied nervously.
"Yeahhh," I answer, my voice raising a bit at the end.
"Well, ummm," he replied scratching the back of his neck. "She's coming over for dinner tonight at 6.

I immediately check my wrist watch and see 5:45.

I cursed inwardly before bolting upstairs leaving Max with my dad without a word to get ready.
I quickly threw on some ripped black jeans, converse and a SWS t-shirt before racing back down stairs to see a woman already settled in her chair at the dinning table.

The woman had the classic blonde hair, blue eyes with an angular face and looked to be around 35 but was probably a few years older.

She reached out to shake my hand while standing an inch shorter than me as well.

"Hello," she said with a small smile making me give one in return. "Hi Miss...?" I question and greeted at the same time.
"Ever, Ruby Ever, but you can call me Ruby," she replied calmly and kindly making me instantly see a glimpse of why my dad likes her so much.

Soon we were all seated at the table, my dad and Ruby on one side with me and Aiden opposite of them. We were talking about Ruby's job when she popped the question I knew was to come at some point during the dinner.

"So Scarlet..." She questioned. "I heard your in the military, is that correct of me saying?"
"Yes, I am in the Marines and just came back from my 3rd tour," I replied confidently before continuing. "Me and Max serve together and are just going to be here for the rest of the school year."
"That's a dangerous job," she thought. "I can't even imagine the type of bravery or amount to serve." I smiled, a small smile and left it at that not wanting to talk about it anymore.

Soon we had all finished dinner and me and Aiden were tidying up while my dad talked to Ruby enthusiastically. "He looks so happy," I murmured quietly to Aiden so they wouldn't hear. "I know he deserves someone after all he's been through," he whispered with a mixture of sadness and happiness laced in his tone.

I then took Max out on a walk to clear my head of today's events. The silence and the patter of Max's paws on the pavement calmed me and helped me think about some things.

I don't know if it's safe for me to make friends or do anything like that. I don't know if my past is finally going to take advantage of me being here. I don't know much about anything anymore except for the military.

I just hope things don't take a turn for the worse.

I went to bed that night with Max sleeping by my side on my bed, thinking and trying to anticipate where life will take me while I'm here.

Hope you all enjoyed.