chapter 7

"We should go to the peer." My 8 year old cousin Lily said. "Ok let's ask Dad." My 6 year old self replied. "Dad can we go to the peer pleeeeaaaase." "I suppose. Just be careful." He replies. "Ok dad!" I yelled back as me and Lily run to the peer.

"We should do cannon balls." Lily said. I looked over the edge, the water was dark and I couldn't see anything. "It looks scary." I say backing away. "Well what if I went first?" She questions. "Fine." I say still scared.

She ran and jumped in to the water making a splash. I peered over the edge but didn't see her. "Lily!" I called out a bit nervous. Her parents and my dad came over to me still talking. I suddenly see a pool of blood. "LILY!!!!!!" I screamed. Alerting the adults. I started to run after her but my dad cought me.

I kept screaming for her trying to get out of my dad's hold. Her mother was crying in her dad's shoulder. I started balling and crawling into my dad's arms. "Shhhh" he tried calming me. "LILY!!!!!!!!!!!!" I screamed in agony one last time.

I was awoke by a nurse shaking me saying "miss".  "Sorry, yes?" I replied fully alert now worrying about my dad. "Could you please keep it down people are trying to sleep?" "Uch" was all I thought. This is the rude nurse that I'd like to knock some sense into.

But still I reply in my best sarcastically nice fake voice, "Of course I'm so sorry for being such a burden in my sleep. Please forgive me." She didn't like that to much. So she just gave me a dirty look and left.

I look at the clock on my phone and it's 2:12. Might as well step out side have a smoke then go on my morning run. Though dad is still in the hospital I need to stay fit. Plus it's been a good excuse to get out of school. It didn't hit his heart but it tore his shoulder up pretty good.

I've finished my smoke and am now running. For a second I thought I saw Jack ,witch I just called pa cuz he was like a second dad, he was the leader of the "Lovers." Which is just a bunch of street racers that race for money and party.But it was just some random guy. I should visit him while I'm home.

~~~~~~

I finish my run at 3:30 and now I'm just thinking. Which can be dangerous but I'm in the Marines for God's sake. Everything I do is dangerous. I have been having the same memory of Lily the past 4 days we've been here.

Sometimes I think about her but these dreams have been making me think about her a lot more. I think I'm going to visit her grave.  I write a note to tell Dad where I am.

I picked up Lily's (the flower) for Lily's grave. Those were her favorite. It is still super ironic but kinda makes sense. I didn't visit her grave last time I was home. I'm not sure why but I need to visit her grave now.

I just decide to walk there to kill time. I found her grave, not to surprising I remembered where it is I have good memory. "Hey Lily." I say as I put her flowers down.

"Sorry I haven't visited in a while. I'm going back to school to move up in my ranks. Dad's in the hospital, and I know people say it's not my fault but I know it is. If I wouldn't have walked out of the house then he wouldn't have gotten shot." I tell her, I tend to blame myself a lot.

After a short pause I finally start talking again, "He gets released today. Which means I have to go to school. But it's not to bad I mean there was this girl I met and she seems pretty cool. Her name is Rose." I checked my watch and it was almost 6 which means I need to start heading back.

"I should get back but I promise to visit again. Bye Lily." I start to head back to the hospital when I see a Starbucks. I decide to stop in and get a black coffee sense the hospital is still half a mile away.

It's nice to back in the States cuz in Afghanistan your lucky to even get coffee. And if you do it's a merical to get just a few grounds in it. I get my coffee and finish walking to the hospital.

Dad's already awake when I get there. "So you went and saw Lily?" He asks. "Yeah." I reply. He has a sad look in his eyes knowing I had another nightmare, but smiles anyway and says, "good you haven't visited her in a while."

"Yeah I took her some flowers, her favorite, lilys'." I reply with a half smile. " We are so going to get a decent breakfast once I-" "your released, do you want to be wheeled out?" his rude nurse said interrupting him. " No I think I can manage thank you." dad said kindly. He always was more patient and kind than I could ever dream of being. "How do you put up with people like that?" "years and years of practice now help me to the car because we also have to check on Max." "k" I reply simply.