Chap 6 "Funeral"

Faye's POV
We had just laid my father to rest and we all gathered at the house. I took a stand at the stairs. "Can I have everyone's attention?" I asked. Everyone looked at me. "I wanna thank everyone for being here for my family. My dad was a real hero. He saved a lot of us when we needed saving. But I really want to thank him for taking me in and loving me like his own. Along with Lieutenant Catherine Rollins." She smiled at me. " Steve McGarrett and Catherine Rollins will always be my parents no matter what happens. Growing up, they were the best. They taught me how to protect myself and be strong and brave and because of that, I accomplished being a sergeant in the police force and coming here and serving for Five-O." I sighed as I put my dad's guitar around me. "So, to honor my dad, I'm going to sing a song. This guitar was my dad's guitar. He used to play to me when I was little and I enjoyed it. So, hopefully I'm not rusty, but we'll see."
"You okay?" Junior asked.
"Yeah," I sighed. "Here goes nothing." I started playing the guitar and I did fine. I counted my way in. "I came by today to see you, though I had to let you know. If I knew the last time that I held you was the last time, I'd have held you and never let go." I looked at everyone. "Oh, it's kept me awake nights wondering. I lie in the dark, just asking why? I've always been told you won't be called home until it's your time." I looked at Mom as she smiled at me. "I guess Heaven was needing a hero. Somebody just like you. Brave enough to stand up for what you believe and follow it through." I thought about my memories with Dad. "When I try to make it make sense in my mind, the only conclusion I come to is that Heaven was needing a hero like you." I counted my way into the second verse. "I remember the last time I saw you. Oh, you held your head up proud. I laughed inside when I saw how you were smiling at our dreams. You're such a part of who I am. Now that part will just be void. No matter how much I need you now, Heaven needed you more." I let a tear go. "'Cause Heaven was needing a hero. Somebody just like you. Brave enough to stand up for what you believe and follow it though. When I try to make it make sense in my mind, the only conclusion I come to is that Heaven was needing a hero like you." I played a few chords and stopped strumming. "Yes, Heaven was needing a hero, that's you." Everyone clapped. "Thank you. Thank you." I put the guitar back on its stand and joined everyone. As the night came to an end, we got everyone out of the house. Junior was hugging me on the couch as Danny, Grover, Tani, and Mom sat in various places in the living room. "You guys really don't have a family to get to?"
"No, Grace and Charlie are at Rachel's for awhile until we get through this," Danny sighed. "You are my number one priority right now and I mean that in a family way."
"I have my own family, but Renee understands that you need us right now," Grover replied. "We're here for you Faye. You ain't going through this alone."
"And you're not," Tani looked at me. "I know what it's like to lose a father. Koa understands that my boss's daughter needs me right now. Besides, you're like my little sister to me."
"What's your excuse, Junior?" I asked.
"I live here?" Junior questioned. I looked at him. "I'm just kidding. I'm here because I want to be here for you. I don't care about that promise I made your dad. I'm keeping that promise, as well as making my own decisions." I laid my head on his shoulder. "There's no place else I'd rather be."
"At least I still have my mom," I smiled.
"And those bad guys that are after you," Grover stated.
"If they were after me, don't you think they would've attacked by now?" I asked. "Why wait? The longer they wait, the stronger I get."
"We'll be right here to protect you," Junior nodded.
"Awe, my sailor," I cuddled closer, if it was even possible.
"What are you two?" Tani asked. "You guys going to put a label on it?"
"Tani, we are dating," Junior nodded. "Man, I've been waiting for someone to say something."
"At least something good came out of it," Mom smiled.
"To finish off the night, why don't we say a good memory we have with Commander McGarrett?" Junior asked. "It'll be nice to honor him that way."
"Danny, why don't you go first?" I asked. "You were Dad's first hire."
"Okay. The memory I remember so vividly is that your Dad told me I was his backup when we went to interrogate somebody," Danny replied. "And then I ended up getting shot at. That was the last time I trusted your Dad on his tactics."
"He's a SEAL," I nodded. "Then again, you were from Jersey."
"Grover?" Mom stated.
"McGarrett picked me up from the airport when I got back from Chicago at one point in time," Grover sighed. "He was the only one who believed me when I said Clay killed his wife."
"Give me some credit," I stated. "I told you to keep digging when you thought this."
"Yeah, but you were only a teenager then," Grover pointed.
"Tani," Mom nodded.
"McGarrett was a lot of things but I feel he was a person who gave people a second chance. I got kicked out of the police academy and he gave me a job," Tani replied. "Something I love to do. He was someone I don't regret meeting in life. I wish there were more people like him in the world."
"No, I think one Steve McGarrett is enough," Danny replied. "I mean, we got a similar one over there in Junior's arms."
"Hey," I defended. "This is my dad we're talking about."
"Junior," Mom looked at him.
"Oh, yeah. Commander McGarrett made me a deal. If I graduate the police academy, I'll have a position on Five-O," Junior sighed. "I heard the stories about the taskforce, and I was interested. I didn't think he wouldn't be here for that day."
"Well, we'll be there Junes," Tani replied. "We're family, like Danny stated."
"What about you, Faye?" Mom asked. "Any particular memory you wanna share?"
"There's so many to choose from," I nodded. I looked at the shelves. "This one." I got up and grabbed the frame from the shelf. "This was taken before the father-daughter dance. The one after my Sweet Sixteen."

"Why that story?" Mom asked

"Because I tried on a thousand different dresses," I smiled. "Okay, so, Dad agreed to go shopping for the dress for the dance with me while Mom was cooking dinner." I put the picture down. "I tried on dresses for two hours. Every single dress, Dad said no. I put in this dress and he said definitely not. In his mind, he called it a wedding dress, but I wanted it so he bought it. Dad told me that I had to stop growing up." I looked at the picture and turned back to the people I call family. "I told him I'll always be Daddy's little girl. Now, he won't be there for me to remind him."
"He knows," Junior got up and hugged me. "Halfway through the tour, he said if things go south, look after my little girl for me. I looked at him and said sir, don't think like that. You're going to go home and take care of Faye and be there for her." I sighed as I relaxed in his arms. "But, I am here for you and he's near your heart."
"I know," I sighed. I looked at the clock. "It's getting late. I should get some sleep." Junior let go of me. "I will see you all in the morning. We will be back to working another case."