3 | CAGED.

CHAPTER THREE • CAGED.

JAMIE LIKED BEING OUTSIDE THE WALLS. The air felt more fresh and more crisp than it did inside the walls. She liked the freedom that came with being outside the walls. An endless possibility of the world just waiting for her to find. The walls always caused an indescribable itch in the back of her mind. But for the trade off of momentary freedom comes the eminent danger of the new world they lived in. It was an unfair trade, all things considered. It was either freedom or safety.

Jamie felt like a caged bird. Restless within her confinements but vulnerable without. It was only a matter of which one she prioritized more. Freedom or safety.

She does all she can to be outside, as safe as she can. She takes all the supply runs, all the perimeter checks. Anything, just so she can take a step outside the walls. Get rid of the itch in her mind. Mitch thinks that it's dumb of her—better safe than never after all—but knows better than to reprimand her for it. If she wasn't outside with Aasim or Louis, she was often out with Mitch.

Still, even as she stepped out into the familiar forest that surrounded their school, there was still Marlon's safe zone to worry about. With the blonde male in mind, her attention shifts over to him. He seems apprehensive, with the map in his hands, eyes darting back and forth from the path before them and their crude map. It was rare for the two of them to do a perimeter check together. For the most part, Marlon took Brody and Aasim. But never her.

With the lack of walkers coming across their path, it just felt like a nice stroll through the woods with their trusted companion. Jamie watches with joy as Rosie runs around in the path in front of them.

Ever since the twins died, Marlon seemed more reserved. He was distant from the other kids other than Brody and Louis, really. It was hard to stop talking to Louis, with the way that he was sometimes. But with her and especially Violet, there was a guilty look that would cross his face. She could only guess that it was survivor's guilt. A term that she remembered from Ms. Martin, back then when they've lost others before.

"What are you planning to do with the safe zone?" Jamie asks as she matches his pace. She pushes the thought of the twins away from her mind, trying to force a smile on her face. "I know Aasim has been a bit harsh about the smaller safe zone."

Marlon's nose scrunches at the mention of Aasim's name. It used to be a joke between the trio about how harsh Aasim could be sometimes; especially when it came to their safe zone. But these days, it started to tick Marlon more and more. She hears him snap more and more these days. Though, she finds herself agreeing with Aasim more—they were safe in the forest, after all. They've never crossed paths with other survivors. At least, none that she knows about. But Marlon would never keep a secret from the group—he may have his faults but he is a good leader.

"I think I might pull it back more." Marlon sighs. He scratches at the nape of his neck, eyebrow scrunched at the map. "It's...It's dangerous."

The edge in his voice runs a shiver down her spine. Jamie's eyebrows furrow, it was almost like he'd known something that she didn't. She reaches out to pat his shoulder comfortingly, worry etched on her face. Marlon shouldn't have kept anything from them. He promised. Especially when it came to their safety. "It's always dangerous, Mar."

"That's not what I mean." Marlon lightly slaps her hand away from his shoulder. Offended and a bit shocked, Jamie moves to grab his arm again. He definitely knew something that she didn't. "You won't understand."

"Then tell me."

Her eyes finally meet with Marlon's lighter green ones. They were shaky, terrified. An expression that Jamie has never quite seen before. Their heroic leader wearing such an expression—what was she supposed to feel? He stays silent, lips pursed. She could tell that he was thinking. It had to be serious, if he was seriously considering everything. Does Louis know?

"Marlon—"

An explosion cuts her off and the two of them are quick to turn to the source of the noise. It was in the direction of the train station. Rosie stopped in her track, ears perked. The old train station that Jamie remembered riding, way back then, when her supposed family dropped her off. It held bad memories for her, distant, but still quite bad. The two teens turned back to stare at each other in shock.

That noise only meant one thing—there were other survivors close by. And that worried Jamie. The grip around her bat tightened reflexively.

From their spot in the woods, Jamie could see the ugly, black smoke that could have only come from the explosion. A frown curls her lips.

"W-we should go. To warn the others." Jamie stammers, weakly pulling at Marlon's sleeve. A noise that loud would draw every walker within a mile radius. Maybe even farther out. "Marlon—"

"Let's...Let's go. We need to save whoever it is." Marlon whistles, calling Rosie over to the two of them. He takes a deep breath in, and then out. From her spot, she can see the gears in his mind slowly turning and devising a plan. "Have Rosie stick by you, okay? And stay behind me."

The two of them follow the source of the noise, stopping just at the edge of the woods. And down the valley, right by the train station is a red car crashed into a tree. Walkers were already starting to slowly crowd the car but from where they stood, Jamie could spot two kids. Maybe one their age but the other kid seemed much younger. Trapped in the car, just waiting to be attacked by the oncoming walkers. Jamie could picture it already and a squeeze of nausea settles in her stomach.

There were already so many walkers. Maybe if they had the others with them, it would be an easy rescue, but with just the three of them—they were ridiculously outnumbered.

"We'll be fine, Jamie." Marlon cuts through her train of thought. The fearful boy that she saw just a few moments ago was completely wiped. Instead, all she saw was the same old Marlon. The one willing to do whatever to took to keep them safe. "Can you do this?"

She takes a deep breath in and out, trying to will her heart to calm down. Her hand opens and closes around the handle of her bat, palms slick with sweat. Marlon was right—they'll be just fine. After years of luck, she doubts that it would suddenly disappear now. Especially after such a heroic feat.

"Jamie, we have to help them." His hands rest on her shoulders. She's met with serious determination and with one last look at the crash, Jamie nods her head.

"I-I know. I know."

"You go towards the kid in the passenger seat, he seems smaller." Marlon motions for Rosie to stick by Jamie and the dog follows his order without hesitation. His fists clenched tightly around his bow. "Meet me back here after you get the kid. Don't look back or try to save me until then."

She nods her head, trying to break through the whirlwind running through her mind to memorize Marlon's plan. She repeats the plan under her breath.

"We'll be okay."

[ ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED! ]

SAVIOR.

Successfully saved the two kids.