5 | SECURITY.

[ words: 2.9k ]

JAMIE WAKES UP WITH A CRICK NECK AND ALONE. She's a little confused at first, groggy with sleep; the first best sleep she's had in a good while, despite the crick in her neck. She felt rested and most of all, oddly satisfied. She sits up with a yawn, a little startled at the feeling of a heavy blanket sliding down her shoulders, upon looking down, what she sees instead of a blanket was the familiar shade of Louis' coat.

Her breath hitches lightly as she finally looks around her surroundings.

She wasn't in her room.

She was in...Louis' room.

"Oh, god—" Jamie is quick to her feet, still a little dazed as her feet stumbled a bit. She manages to catch her footing before she falls back down on the floor, her feet having fallen asleep from the angle she slept at. At that exact moment, the door swings open, revealing Louis on the other side.

He looks flustered, an expression that seems so rare with his normally shameless self.

"You're awake! That's great." He starts and all Jamie could do is nod dumbly, watching with bated breath as he picks up his coat and effortlessly puts it on.

"Um, y-yeah, I am." Jamie replies, still a bit dazed and dumb. It wasn't the first time they've had a sleepover. She could count the number of times she bunked in with Marlon and Louis before; same goes for Mitch and Stephanie. But it was just different when alone. Not to mention everything she'd said last night once he'd fallen asleep. Her face flushes at the words she'd confessed to the night air. Surely he didn't hear. He couldn't have.

Louis smiles at her, looking the same as usual, and she breathes a small sigh of relief. Yeah, he couldn't have. Even with that reassurance in mind, she still can't quite think of the right words to say. If there were any, ayway.

"Omar set a bowl aside for you, if you're hungry."

Her stomach decides to betray her and grumble (loudly) at that exact moment. She and Louis stare at each other, wide eyed, before he finally breaks into a bark of laughter. All the tension from her body disappears then; every thought about the confession she'd done the night prior was forgotten as Louis clutches his stomach, doubling over with laughter.

"S...shut up!" She exclaims, quickly heading out the door. "I'm going to eat!"

"Okay, okay." Louis manages to say between his laughter. Her face is red, though it was hard to tell the main cause of it now. She manages to get out of the hallway before Louis' hurried footsteps follow after. "Hold on, wait for me!"

"N-no way! Keep laughing in your own room!" She makes a point to turn her face in his direction and sticking her tongue out. Her initial embarrassment from falling asleep in his room was completely wiped from her system. She could go as far as saying it was completely forgotten after this sudden incident.

Louis finally calms down to a few snickers, though the quips about her stomach doesn't end. Her stomach decides to growl one more time, cueing yet another round of laughter from Louis.

It was almost easy to forget Clementine and AJ that morning. They were just a bad memory now, in the same way Marlon wanted to be. The other kids were almost back to normal but it was hard to tell if it was forced or not. She liked to think that Marlon and Brody's death meant something to them but maybe it was just easier to...to forget it all.

That afternoon, the rest of them spent it inside the walls. Mitch took the time to rest up in his own dorm. Jamie took the time to pick up one of the old books in her room. Willy was unfortunate enough to be given guard duty but he didn't seem to mind much. Honestly, Jamie thought that The others... well, the others did what they normally do.