Time Hop

Major time skip.

You were back home and happy to say that Mason was also home. Colby had stayed with you in Morgantown for four days, then had to go back for a major meeting with his team.

Mason was taking strides toward his recovery. He was having an easier time breathing and was thinking more clearly.

You decided to head home and prepare for the start of the fall semester, starting in a week. Kyle drove you home after seeing Colby off at the airport.

Kyle: "So? This Colby guy seems nice?"
You chuckle, "He is. So, tell me about this girl you went to lunch with on Sunday?"
Kyle: "Justin tell you?"
You smile. "Yep. Can't escape the family grapevine." So? Who is she?"
Kyle: "She's actually a real estate agent in town, you know Hannah right?"
You: "Of course I know Hannah, we were really good friends in high school."
You were beaming. Hannah was one of the sweetest people you knew.
Kyle: "Well you seem happy about it?"
You: "Of course." You look at him concerned. "You aren't happy?"
Kyle: "No, I am. I'm very happy actually. I'm just so ready to settle down with someone that I don't want to mess anything up. But I also don't want to rush into anything."

You nod. You understood.

Kyle: "She's just so sweet and nice... and beautiful, not to mention intelligent and funny. Did I mention she's beautiful?" He laughs. "I mean what is there not to like. She's perfect." He sighs. "That's where my doubt comes in. Is she as great as she seems? I just don't want to get hurt."

You: "Well, I can tell you what I know of her to be true. She is a catch. Here's another truth, so are you. You'll never settle down if you don't take the chance and put your heart out there."
You and Kyle sit in silence for a few minutes.
Kyle: "So I hate that Colby couldn't stay longer. When's he coming next?"
You: Around the end of September, but we're thinking of pushing that back a smidge due to my bigger projects this semester. The biggest assignment is due that week, according to the syllabus."
Kyle: "You know I never did get to tell you that I am really proud of you for going to school."
You: "Really? Kyle, proud of me?" You joke. Kyle was constantly an encourager and let you know that you were doing well. You loved that part of him especially.

You sang to the radio the rest of the way home.

You got home and saw a text from Colby that he had made it to Atlanta to catch his connecting flight. You quickly reply and haul your luggage up the stairs.

After several hours of cleaning your house, doing the laundry, calling Lila, and putting away your traveling stuff, you were exhausted. It may have only been 7 pm, but you called it a night. That was, until you heard the doorbell.

You grab your phone and head down the stairs. You flip the porch light on and look through the blinds. There was Kyle, Justin, and Cooper with a pizza box. You smile and open the door.

Justin: "Hey! Thought you wouldn't want to be alone tonight, so sleepover!" He comes in carrying Cooper, who had grown tremendously. You reach down to pet the pup. Kyle brings the pizza in and places it on the counter.

The rest of the evening was full of laughter and movies. You hit the hay as the clock struck 11. The boys bunked in the upstairs guest room and Cooper slept in front of your door in the hallway.

You looked at your phone for the first time in a while and see Colby had posted to his Snap Story.